Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Breast feeding/formula feeding moms?

Whatever your initial decision was, to breast or formula feed, is it what most people in your family were doing or had done? I breast feed and most people around me formula feed, but i have heard that is more common to do what your family did. Any truth to that mommies?

Favorite Answer

I was breastfed!

My sister doesn't have any kids but my brother and his wife had 2 kids when my twins were born and she breastfeeds her babies.

My husband's sister also breastfed her baby 18 years ago.

His cousins were a mixed bag, though. Some of them breasted and some of them formula fed, a couple of them formula fed their first and then decided to breastfeed their 2nd.

I'm not close with my cousins who have kids so I have no idea. The cousins I am somewhat close with don't have any kids. I can say that with just about 110% certainty that the cousins on my dad's side who had kids didn't breastfeed at all. I couldn't imagine for the life of me doing that. My grandmother is staunchly against it and she had a big influence over them. I'm sure they were told it was dirty and disgusting. Whatevs. I nursed in front of my grandmother- covered- but she knew full well what I was doing! She probably knew it was going to happen since my mom did it too!

I had full intentions on exclusive breast feeding my twins but I did end up switching to formula with them. My brother was the only person who had something crappy to say to me about it. Everyone else said: "Well, you have twins. I can understand it's too hard."

If I knew then what I know now, though, I would have tried a whole lot harder because I find breastfeeding much more convenient than formula feeding ever was.

I don't have a problem with formula for other people but in my personal experience, it sucked donkey balls. That said, I am an at-home mom now and I don't have to pump at all if I don't want to. The only reason I pump now is to supplement my twin almost 2 year olds since I think it's good for them and it also burns calories. :-p

I think your idea is somewhat true. I mean if you come from a family where most people breast feed then I think you a little more likely to breast feed and breast feed for a longer period of time. I think this is especially true if you have difficulties in breast feeding, because your family can give you more support and advice.

My mother breast feed my sister and I for a few months each. And my sister breast feed all her four children for ten months to 13 months (they self weaned) I am breast feeding my second child. And with my first I exclusively pumped because I had lots of problems breast feeding. I doubt with all my difficulties with the first that I would have pumped for as long had I not had a lot of support from my family. I doubt that I would have tried the second time around if not for both my mother and sister being breast feeders.

My family is a huge mix, to be honest. No one has really done the same thing or been consistent. Everyone has at least tried to breastfeed, but some ended up formula feeding, or continuing to use breast milk only, or did a mix.

As for a particular room, it depends what you mean by messiest. If you just mean that things need to put away, it'd be the family room because that's where the kids drag out their toys and where they like to draw and paint (and then leave all the supplies and pictures right there on the coffee table). If you're talking about a room that actually needs to be cleaned rather than just stuff put away, that would have to be the girls' bathroom. No matter how many times I tell them, they just can't seem to rinse the excess toothpaste out of the sink after they brush their teeth. Then it dries on there and gets stuck. Fun fun. We also have one "hotspot" in our house where things pile up quickly and that's the kitchen counter....it's the first flat surface that is there when you enter the house, so it becomes a dumping ground for purses, keys, mail, jackets, etc. I "police" it several times a day to try to keep it clear so it doesn't turn into an inferno!

As far as I am aware everyone in my family breastfed at least to start. I am abnormal because I'm "still" nursing my 3 year old and 17 month old and yes I nursed during pregnancy

My grandmother only breastfed her third for 2 weeks because she ended up back in hospital for severe hemorrhage for over a week and she tried pumping with whatever passed for a breast pump but her supply dropped and she just never got back on track

On the other hand I only remember my mom formula feeding my sister, she started supplementing pretty early (for some very dumb reasons) and I have no memory of her nursing even though I was 12 when my sister was born.

• Diet C

I'm the only person I know that exclusively breastfeeds. My whole family formula feeds (both my side and hubby's) and all of our friends do as well with the exception of one. She breast fed for 3 months then went to formula.

Most in my family breastfeed. I too was going to breastfeed. No thought in the matter. But after I had my daughter, and my milk never came in, I found out that I have a defect in which I could not breast feed. (no milk glands) *tears* I have to formula feed. But it would've proven true that I would've done as my mother did...if I could've.

my dad and his brother were fed homemade formula actually, carnation milk and sugar or something like that. my dad's side all breast fed until self-weaning though - cousins, aunts, everyone. my mom breast fed my sister and I until we self-weaned too, but her mom formula fed her and her two brothers.

my boyfriend was ff and their whole family ff's, including his cousin's wife who had a baby the same time I did.

eta: I recently read (wish I bookmarked the source) tat the full benefits of bf-ing are seen in the child who is bf-ing who also had a mother who was bf-d. very cool what women can do!

No one in my family breastfed, except my MIL. My sister and SIL actually make me feel quite uncomfortable with it whenever we are together. Even if I'm completely covered, or at my own house they get weird. They say things like "I don't want to be tired down to a schedule like that and have to run home and feed baby. I want the freedom of using a bottle and being able to go whenever I want." I guess they just don't understand since they've not seen anyone do it but me.

most people I know used a bottle at one point and none of my friend except one breastfed. My mother breastfed all five of her kids for a short while and my step-mother breastfed both of my brothers for a short while and my sister nursed both of her kids for a short while. all got switched to formula at one point.

me... I am still nursing my 25 month old. I don't think my fmaily had an influence on it at all. Maybe at first it hoguht i would switch to formula like everyone else does but i quickly realized before he was 6 weeks old that that was not going to happen