Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

Are young men's attitudes toward women becoming more chauvinistic?

If so, what's causing it? I hear it in music; I observe it in public; and some of the questions here seem rather anti-woman.

Mike, I used the word chauvinistic deliberately because some of the attitudes I'm seeing are so old and out of place today. I realize that it's not all or even a majority of young men who are behaving this way, but there seems to be enough of them that they might have influence on others in the future. I think it's a little scary.

• Mike K
    Best Answer

Hello,

Not really; I can tell you that as a baby boomer. Men's attitude toward women have come a long way since I was a kid and if anything quite a few men with respect to attitude are far less macho or rugged now than they were in past generations.

Men will always have differences and issues with women and vice versa but this does not necessarily mean they are Chauvinistic ( A word I haven't heard for quite a spell).

Cheers,

Michael Kelly

Depends on the use of Chauvinistic in reference to Nationalism or sexism.There are different meanings.

I know what you are referring to is a matter of disrespect. Or looking down upon, or having a superior attitude towards females. Mostly, nowadays, people think of chauvinistic in the 60's sense.

What I hear in certain music doesn't have as much to do with chauvinism or sexism but violence against another and making someone subservient.

The original words meant more of undying nationalism attributed to a Nicholas Chauvin.

• Helene

The Silverscreen just answered with a common response to molested boys: shouldn't the kid just be happy to have sexual contact with a willing older female? That's just as bad as Clayton Williams telling women who are raped to lie back and enjoy it. There is no excuse or upside to assault and exploitation for any victim, male or female. I don't know that feminists are really behind the cover-up. I think most women are dismayed to see anyone of their gender playing up being pretty and emotionally troubled to avoid consequences. This is an accusation against society and its double standards.

• ROXY

all of the answers here state respect needs to be taught, which is true.but so sad that there appears to be no natural tendency for respect between the sexes.

in years gone by men were taught to behave respectfully, but behind the scenes there was just as much abuse going on as there is now.

the only thing that has changed is that more and more of these thing are out in the open , and more people are made accountable for their actions.

of course this does not apply to each and every male, but a hell of a lot just the same.

• Dottie

I think women's lib was so misunderstood and we lost a lot of respect in the matter holding the door ETC All women wanted was respect to be paid as much as a man in same job since all the men left the women to raise the kids they needed as much as the men.I see a lot of guys that will let the door shut in your face heck durn I hold the door for everyone but some don't, I always say its in your raising

I believe you're right. I was 'one of the boys', but I earned their respect by doing what they could do- sometimes better.

I hear the music from the kids next door. It goes further than degrading. Ex: big wet p***y, 5, 6, 7 Ni**gers going in"---- Not my words, from a 'song'

How can they learn respect for women when that's how they grow up?

I agree in equality. We have a pretty equal relationship. We're both baby boomers. We've both worked all our lives. I'm recently disabled, he's not.

Source(s): Children are not being raised anymore. Just because you can get pregnant & pop out kids, does not make you a mother!
  • Miz D

Young men today are not as chivalrous toward women as in past generations, that is true. I think we are seeing the equal rights for women movement having a rebound effect on our population. Now men are feeling like the oppressed, second-class members of society. They treat women like equal warriors in the battle of sexes.

Unless .... they have a father, grandfather or brother who teaches them how to respect women and treat them well.

• TRAF

Could it have something to do with the music(so called) that they listen to, and how young men try to copy the behavior of the performers??? that put out that "music". Does it have, perhaps, something to do with young men's imitation, emulation and reverence of the inner city street gang culture that has been so well glamorized by our news/entertainment media. A culture, by the way, that many young women have bought into, and accept the treatment thereof.

• Baw

Please understand when I was young, and my mothers generation, the women had no rights and did what they where told for the most part. By their fathers, husbands and brothers. We have come a long way. The attitudes are not as bad as they were even 30 years ago.

Many women act like men and should be treated as such. A woman drinking out of a beer bottle, smoking a cigarette, cursing, and wearing clothes that reveal more than they conceal, does not deserve to be treated any differently than one of the guys.