Need flooring advice to cover concrete.?

We have taken in our garage as a large family room and building another garage. The floor is concrete painted with epoxy. It will be a high traffic area so I do not want carpet. I don't really want tile but have not ruled it out completely. I am concerned about the durability of genuine hard woods but don't care for the look of some of the laminate flooring. We were thinking engineered hardwood but then have heard mixed reviews about putting down floating vs glue down and a lot of the nice laminates and engineered hardwoods cost as much as the real deal. What is the best thing for over sealed concrete that can take the traffic?

Update:

The epoxy should prevent moisture from coming up through the concrete.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

You have several choices, but the best would be some like Durastone

see: http://www.congoleum.com/res-products.php?product_...

Durable Limestone Composite Base

Lifelong Limited Warranty against Fade, Stain and Wear Out

Minimal maintenance – easy, easy clean!

It is very good - works well in heavy traffic - family rooms, foyers, etc......looks beautiful -great alternative to old composite tiles, vinyl, etc.

It is a full glue down and holds up great! I would not trade it for anything! I love mine and it looks as new as it looked when I first got it many, many years ago.

Laminate or bamboo is also a good alternative - you can get moisture barrier and a special padding to put between floating floor which helps to keep it at it's best - be sure you do get the moisture barrier.

Get a good quality that does not only have a paper backing, but has a heavy duty resistance backing that keeps it from any damage. You want to be sure it is highly scratch resistant and get one with a longer warranty so you do not have to worry about redoing for many years. : )

Remember that laminate is not able to be refinished although you can touch up with special wax type fillers. It should be burn resistant - when I say that - a person could take a lit cigarette and put it out on the laminate and it would not leave a permanent mark on it - they have many different grades of it. Do not forget you will need quarter round and other wood trimmings to finish it. (also with some of the other floorings)

Ceramic tile is durable and works - just to me when we used it got so cold esp. if you have ones that play on the floor (in the winter) - of course in summer felt great...Would be the hardest floor to walk on like walking directly on cement/concrete. (check out how it is graded and be sure you get a strong heavy duty one that will handle family room traffic).

Any thing you put down in the above should be acclimated to the climate and temperature of the room areas you are installing and it is recommended that woods, tiles (esp. ceramic, etc), laminates, woods, bamboos, etc be in your home stacked flat for about 48 hours at least before it is installed. Carpet and resilient flooring should be a certain temperature and should never be installed in a very cold room….it needs to be more flexible and warmer temperature. The manufactures have information sheets and installation sheets for each product one can get a copy of to be sure what is needed…..you will not regret following the proper instructions.

Many persons also paint or put an epoxy down (as it seems you may have done), but with a special garage or concrete or porch paint, etc. and now days you are able to make almost any color you would want even in that paint. You also would have to put a strong polyurethane coating over it to hold up to family traffic. One can do nice patterns that look like professional art work or design. The ones I have seen are nice with a few throw rugs. I have seen many kinds of floors being painted now.

Also see: http://www.servicemagic.com/article.show.Garage-Fl...

I myself love Durastone and have tried many choices in my basement.....

The other person stated that wood is not a good choice is correct due to moisture adsorption no matter what anyone tells you real wood will absorb wood and you can have problems.

From my personal experience - you may regret resilient sheet flooring (vinyl or linoleum type is what the old was : ) unless you get a really good quality and heavy duty one (and it is installed correctly for the floor it is being put over!), so be sure it is installed correctly! - they have loose lay, perimeter fasten, or fully adhered type – some of them one can do one way or the other, but be sure the manufacture says it can be installed more than one way. Do not take a salesperson’s word for it – research it all.

Be sure you get a certified installer so they do not botch it up 'cause they can and if not done right (esp. on cement) they the manufactures will not honor warranties. If you have a pattern you will need to be sure they are setting up seams in less walked areas (also goes for carpet) and they selling you enough of the pattern match (which can be up to an extra 3 linear feet or more off the roll-i.e. if roll is 12 ft wide, would be up to 36sf or 4sy more).

You will have some waste no matter what you use as you have to cut to fit correctly. Anything with a pattern may need to be matched and will have a little more cost.

I recommend that you purchase a little more of whatever you choose so you have a small piece to save just in case of an unfortunate accident and you need to replace or repair the area....you will have the same dye lot and also if it is not available, you still have a piece(or pieces). (that goes for any flooring you purchase – even your resilient sheet flooring)

Berber carpet or a high grade commercial looped carpet work

• 1 decade ago

When installing real wood flooring over concrete, you take the chance of moisture wicking up into the wood. This is why engineered or laminate flooring is recommended.

• 1 decade ago

Hi,

Each layer of wood is placed within an arrangement of cross-grain structure. Then these layers are joined together in conditions of extreme heat and pressure. Thus, Engineered Oak Flooring is unlikely to be affected by changes in conditions of humidity. Another advantage is that it can be installed within all levels in a house, but only so with the help of proper rules of procedure and application.

• 4 years ago

Sounds like a big mess and a rough job. If you have more than 1 window in the room you're working in open them all and put a box fan in 1 of the windows backwards, so it pulls the air out of the room. That, combined with the drop cloths should limit how much dust gets in the rest of the house. I've used this method for sanding drywall with pretty good results.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

you can get fake timber flooring that looks like it's real and you just stick it down on the concrete.stick downs are alot better, i have them in a high traffic area. and to wash them just normal hot water with detergent & any mop.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.