Is it true that 4 cylinder car engines should use special motor oil and not the regular type motor oils that?

6 and 8 cylinder engines use? I always heard people I know say this because 4 cylinders rev harder and hotter......Also what about oil treatments like STP?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No you should use the oil specified by the manufacturer or one that exceeds the standards asked for by the car maker in question.

Good quality motor oils contain all that is needed for the engine to operate with good lubrication without additives even to the extent that engine flushing at oil change time is no longer recommended by most manufacturers.

• 1 decade ago

The only requirement is to use oil that meets the specifications for your car. Look in your owner's manual.

I always recommend synthetic oil. It doesn't break down like conventional so it lasts longer. It has been formulated to lubricate more completely and evenly than conventional oils, making your engine last longer and run more efficiently. And most importantly, use a quality oil filter, not one of those from Wal Mart or the standard filter at the oil change joint.

• 1 decade ago

Richard and Bigrick are right. These other people have NO clue. Read your owner's manual where it lists fluid recommendations. Then match it to the oils sold in auto parts stores. READ THE LABELS!!! On the back of an acceptable oil, there is a rating that states,"meets or exceeds VW spec 502/505," Or "meets JASO spec so-and-so" for Japanese cars. Or, "designed for use in chrysler cars." etc. Regular oils at quicky lubes are usually bulk JUNK oil!!!! Synthetic oil is the ONLY way to go in ANY car, except the RX-7 rotary. Regular oils make sludge, ALWAYS!!! Sludge is the enemy. Synthetic oils that meet specifications required make NO SLUDGE!!! ENgines run cleaner, smoother, quieter, and internal parts last LONGEST. Use only Mobil One, ELF or Amzoil for absolute best results. Only need changing once a year, UNLIMITED MILEAGE!!!

Source(s): Years of testing, rebuilding engines, and doing HIGHer performance work.
  • 1 decade ago

On every container of oil there is a disclaimer that refers to SAE= Society of Automotive Engineers. It usually reads something like this "Meets or exceeds manufactures recommendations". The factory went to all the trouble of testing their engines for thousands of hours to determine what oil would work best in their engines. So the disclaimers says it all "meets or exceeds". Your owners manual or the dealer can tell you what is recommended.

Source(s): ASE Master Tech 41 Years
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It might be true that the engineers who design the cars tend to recommend slightly higher heat grades because the engines tend to run faster and hotter, but that would be the only difference. Just use the manufacturers recommended oil grade and you're fine. I've been using regular 5W-30 in my 4 banger for 5 years (60,000 miles) and I've never had a problem.

• 1 decade ago

No, nothing special is required. Use a quality motor oil and everything will be fine. Oil addatives are for people who don't want to get regular oil changes (bad idea).

• 1 decade ago

Use the oil recommended by the mfg..usually 5w30 or 10w30.. 4 cylinders don't require special oil....

DO NOT use STP or similar products, they cause sludge build up..

The only thing I use STP for is assembling engines.....

• 1 decade ago

Complete nonsense and marketing hype. You can use whatever oil you want and as long as you change it regularly the body will fall off the car before the engine wears out. Lubrication related engine failure is almost unheard of.

• 1 decade ago

Use the type and weight recommended by the manufacturer. You do not need anything special. Make sure you have the correct weight.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i prefer to use peanut oi in place of engine oil, less cholesterol helps the engine run smoother

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.