Is It Illegal To Put Images From Google On A Website I Am Making?

I was thinking about making a web site with guitar lessons and junk, and i wanted to use this back round picture called "Headphones Monkey" that i found on Google, but i don't know if i can legally do that HELP PLEASE!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you're talking about the print by Steez, it would be illegal without getting Steez's permission. You can search flickr images you can use through Creative Commons.

• 4 years ago

If the picture is copyrighted (and 99% of them are) then you need the permission of the copright holder to use the picture. That being said, there is also something called "fair use". This means that you are allowed to use material (including part of a page from a book, part of a song, a short video clip or a picture) when doing a review of the item. You are doing something that is of benefit to the copyright holder and that will hopefully make money for them (assuming it is a favorable review). So normally you will not get a complaint if you use a picture in a review. And you may have the legal right to that. If the picture is from a movie, you can usually get away with it. If the shot is a professional "head shot" of an actor, director, etc, you can not. That is not part of a "review", but rather is a work of art owned by the photographer. If the copyright holder holder objects, they are required to notify you in writing (which can be an e-mail to your site) and normally have to give you a reasonable time period (usually 72 hours) to remove the image before they can take legal action against you. If you remove the picture within the time frame, they have no legal grounds to sue you. It is a tricky area, and one where you have to be careful. But generally if you are not misusing the image, you will not get an objection to its use.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Contact the owner of the site the picture was on (not google) and find out.

• 1 decade ago

I don't think that would be illegal. Even if it was, and they managed to sift through the millions of websites with images from Google on them to find yours, they'd probably just email you and tell you to take it down. You'd never see any legal action unless you kept it up.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Google doesn't own the picture, it just searches the internet, check the copyright status and contact the owner.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Protected images usually have a copyright label at the bottom or the copyright notice can be on the website which hosts it.

Check the website, before using the images.

My favorite website for images/logos and things alike is www.deviantart.com (it has both copyrighted and free material)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ask the owner of the picture!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.