Does anyone else hate the term "partner?"?

I absolutely despise this term. It's so annoying to hear. My boyfriend is my boyfriend. When he becomes my fiancé, he'll be my fiancé. And when he is my husband, he'll be my husband. I'm really sick of hearing this term. If people are trying to be politically correct, why don't they start calling gay people homosexuals or something ridiculous.

Okay so that last part was me being slightly facetious, but seriously... Comments?

Oh, by the way. I pulled the "husband" card because I live in Massachusetts and can be legally married now. So, and I'm not rubbing this in anyone's face, I have that option in the future.

Best Answer

I do!

And it's so awkward..

"Hi, this is my partner, Mary. *CREEPY SMILE*"

Why can't you just say girlfriend? Or wife? OR SOMETHING?

• Erika

I surely do no longer in straightforward terms like the term "lover." I advise,if a individual's promptly,they do no longer pass around asserting to people that's my "lover." LOL,think of how that'd sound at little Emily's new common college PTO assembly>? I in basic terms say my buddy,no person needs to understand what I do interior the mattress room.....

Boyfriend sounds juvenile, especially since my beloved and I are going 11 years strong now. I don't want people to think that I was out on the town and just met a guy, who I'm now calling my "boyfriend". It lends itself (the terms boyfriend or girlfriend) to the connotation of having a good time, not building a life together.

Which is what husband/wife/spouse would suggest - and of course, we all know that marriage as of now is only legal for straight people in all 50 states.

I know partner sounds like someone you're in a business relationship with...but I still can't find a better term that encompasses all that I want to say. Yet.

ok im not gay and since you are this might not be funny to you but the other day i was in lowe's and told them that my wife had ordered a door and i was there to pick it up and my friend was with me and we started talking about if it felt weird to me to say " my wife" since i just got married like a month ago. my friend was all " you should have just said life partner" which when you think about it it is an accurate statement but i was all no way, they'll assume im gay. not that i have anything against gays, i just dont want people thinking im something that im not and being in the south with the conservatives everywhere, i have to be scared of that type of homophobic mentality. anyway it just goes to show that it is weird that gay people say "partner".

I call my other half, my partner (as he is my civil partner). I don't like husband, because that would imply I was his wife or him my wife, and we are both men! lol

I think your additional details though explain things - we have civil partnerships for gay people in the uk, hence using the term 'partner'. If you can marry in the massachusetts, and are happy with both being 'husband' that is cool.

• rose p

I have no problem with the term partner. When Gwenneth and I really began living together (more than 44years ago) we did not use the "cute" girlfriend because our relationship was far deeper than that,

Marriage? Not even on the distant horizon.

Partner could be used in most situations and if it was mistaken for business partner, that was too bad. We had already been hounded mercilessly by her family and had no intention of creating further fuss.

Rose P.

I don't dislike the term, although I've never used it personally. I've always said "girlfriend", simply because I felt that my relationships (high school senior) were not developed enough for "partner". It didn't sound appropriate, in my case. I will probably use it in the future, when I feel that my relationship is serious enough. I'm not saying that "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" can't apply to serious relationships, but they sound less formal, I suppose.

I like that "partner" is gender-neutral. "Boyfriend" and "girlfriend" don't really leave room for people who identify as something other than "male" or "female".

I totally agree! It's so ridiculous. My partner, tim. No he's my f U C King boyfriend. My lover. straight people don't call their lovers their partner, usually. I really don't like it.

His skin the color of cinnamon, his eyes light up and I melt within. You're so good it must be sin, I can't stop what I started I'm giving in. he brings life to my fantasies, sparks a passion inside me, finds the words when I cannot speak, in the silence his beartbeat is music to me.

• LSBN

I am not fond of the term, but I use it and these are the reasons.

1. She's not my wife, I can't legally marry her.

2. She's not my fiancee', I can't legally marry her.

3. She's not my girlfriend, were not 16 year old kids, we are woman in our late 30's, together for 12 years, with 2 daughters we choose to have together. We own a home, investments, and property together. To call her my girlfriend at this stage in my life feels childish, like were playing house.

The day I can marry her, she will be my wife, until that day she will be my partner.

L

• Scouse

I don't like it. My wife is my wife and I am her husband. My daughter "lives with" so I have to be a little careful but I do not like or agree with the situation, but have to accept that i can do nothing about it.

• Slug

i am straight and have no problems with any homosexuals but some people do so i guess the best way to explain it would be....

my mum was talking to a young lad at work and he was talking about his partner this, his partner that, my mum asked ''lee is this partner of yours a male or a female?''

sheepishly he said ''a male''

mums reply ''well why dont you say your bloody boyfriend then''

after that ... coming out to an oldie he was fine

i guess its just so people dont judge them even though everyone knows when you refer to someone as their partner it is usually of the same sex.

but really i dont know neither bothers me