My credit score is 578, I want to raise it... a few questions.. HELP!?

Sadly, it takes FOREVER to get bad things removed from credit reports, and I learned this the hard way. I have a repo, a few charge-offs, etc. I was accepted for a car loan last year and have been paying it on time, and have a couple other small accounts that I'm paying on time, and this has made my score go up... show more Sadly, it takes FOREVER to get bad things removed from credit reports, and I learned this the hard way. I have a repo, a few charge-offs, etc. I was accepted for a car loan last year and have been paying it on time, and have a couple other small accounts that I'm paying on time, and this has made my score go up a little.

I owe about 6-8 thousand dollars to different random places. (I was stupid in college and paid tuition on credit cards and couldnt afford to be living the way I did.)

I only have about 200-300 a month I can put toward past debt, and I just don't know where to start or even how to get in touch with the places I owe money to. Do I pay off my repo first, my old credit card first, a little to each place, etc? Also, I had bad advice a few years ago and closed some credit card accounts after I paid them off instead of keeping them open, and this looks bad too. Is there a way to get this off my credit report?

It also said that the fact that I don't have an open major credit card is hurting my score too. Should I try to get one and just cut it up? Is it even possible to get a major credit card with a low score like 578? And if so, how do I do it?

I have so many questions. I have been misinformed many times... help me please. I know employers look at credit scores, and I don't want mine affecting potential jobs in a negative way. Its so embarrasing.

Thanks...