promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why can't zombies talk?

Like in all the zombie movies they just moan and hunt for flesh. Is there any particular reason why they can't talk? I'm writing a horror/drama screenplay about a zombie apocalypse and this just crossed my mind. Why do all the zombies tend to be the strong silent type?

Update:

Makes a small amount of sense but if the "brain cells are died" then why are their bodies reanimated? How can they move and hunt but not talk? I guess I will make up my own zombie mythology.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If a zombie is reanimated flesh, then depending on the level of decomposition most corpses vocal cords would have rotted away. If you're talking about a 'fresh' corpse then think about it this way; complex speech requires a highly complex brain, something only highly evolved creatures such as humans have. In a zombified state you have effectively 'devolved' and become more animal than human. Therefore you're more likely to be capable only basic grunts and moans to communicate. Much as a child can only gurgle and babble incoherently, a zombie can only utter basic noises.

Of course there is nothing to say you can't have an 'intelligent' zombie but then they become more of a vampire, who are also undead, but are usually portrayed as intelligent beings.

Something has gone wrong in the brain to become a zombie, pure and simple, anyone with brain damage has limited capabilities. Really it makes more sense that reanimated flesh would be slow and lumbering, as opposed to the speedy buggers in the Dawn of the Dead remake. But that's off the subject!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Zombies are decaying corpses that have been reanimated by an alien substance, which causes the primal side of the brian to re-grow, leaving the zombie with a taste for flesh, a slow limp and vocal disability.

• 1 decade ago

It could be a number of things. Perhaps the zombie would have been able to speak, but since his brains were eaten by the zombie who turned him, he was labotomized. Or like the other person said, they lost all motor functions except for the need to feed (and walk of course)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

true zombie facts:

if u remove there head from there body there dead

they only stay alive to eat and stay alive

zombies are stupid and slow

zombies can only limp around NOT run

zombies remember past things like they might find a TV and push some buttons around on it

ur question:

zombies cant talk because George A Romero said they cant!!!! and they cant cuz maybe there throat is like smashed in or something plus there dumb and cant think

• Some2 years agoReport

There they're their

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

They dont have the thinking capacity to actually make words.

They are pretty much driven by a primal instinct to feed

also I am sure their vocal chords and tongues have somewhat decayed as well.

And yes as the zombie who can apparently speak good engrish above me stated

"there brain cells are died"

• 4 years ago

there's a notice for somebody such as you...lunch. on the grounds which you would be status in ask your self mutually as the zombies take over the worldwide. the rest persons, who arranged, would be in a secure region.

• 1 decade ago

i think this sight should help you. mostly it talks about how to protect yourself from zombies, but it may help you.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/4/18/153047/155

but remember, you must always be prepared in case of a zombie invasion. this is NOT something to take lightly.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First thing that came to mind, retarded as it is...is that they choose not to speak in fear that Oprah will want to put them on her show.

"So, how does being a zombie affect your daily life?"

• 1 decade ago

um cuz there brain cells are died

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

they played video games for too long

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.