How can I learn web design by myself?

I am studying graphic design and I want to learn web design at the same time by myself online... I already know some sites with tutorials and stuff, but I want to know the order on which to learn the different softwares and languages of web design...

I already know HTML and know how to use photoshop, illustrator and flash... I want to learn everything I can.. what should I go for first? XHTML? XML? Dreamweaver? CSS? Actionscript 3.0? ... Can you please tell me the order on which I should learn these and add some essential things if I'm missing them on the list... Thank you!

• R.F.
    Favorite Answer

Order:

1. HTML/XHTML (XML)

2. CSS

3. Good Web Design principles: Accessibility, Usability, Organization, Navigation, Structure, etc.

4. Javascript & Actionscript

5. PHP & MySQL or other programming language for templating or CMS

6. Ajax & Web 2.0 (RIA)

1. HTML/XHTML (XML)

First, you need to understand the web document markup language to define your web document structure. XHTML is really just HTML following XML rules. You don't really need to know XML, but following the XML valid markup guidelines is important.

2. CSS

All your web document styles and formatting should be done with CSS, not HTML.

Most people ignore this part. You definitely need to know the different technologies and languages, but you need to know how use them effectively to create a web site that people can use.

You can learn 1,2,3 together. I didn't include Dreamweaver in my order list because Dreamweaver is just a tool. It helps you build web pages so you can use it to make your web design easier, but you should not learn web design from Dreamweaver. Many people learn web design using Dreamweaver, but I think that's a mistake. It's like giving a kid a calculator before he learns how to add. First teach him basic math, and then he can use a calculator to make his job easier.

4. Javascript & Actionscript

Next step is scripting languages. This adds dynamic events to your web page. I would suggest Javascript since it's more universal. Actionscript is only used for Flash animations. If you're going the Flash route, then learn Flash + Actionscript at this step. But just use Flash to complement your web site; don't make your whole website in Flash.

5. PHP and MySQL or other programming language for templating or CMS

No major web site creates individual static pages anymore. People use PHP or other CMS to create templates so you separate content and site structure to develop dynamically generate web pages. And you'll need to store that information in a database, and MySQL is a popular free relational database many people use.

6. Ajax & Web 2.0 (RIA)

This is the next big step: Rich Internet Applications. It's using all the above technologies and adding server calls to create rich interactive web sites.

I think that you are on a good start with learning some basic html. As for where you should go from here it really depends on what you want to do. You can use things like word press, joomla and such to make a website without more than some basics. I would suggest that you learn CSS and probably something more powerful like php, and then learn how to tie that into some database software like MySQL.

If you want to design the whole site by yourself you might want to consider learning all the tools that are in Dreamweaver if you have a copy. You can design a pretty good site by just knowing html, php and MySQL, it would be a good idea to get those down at least with some basic background even if you do decided to use a CMS suite like word press or joomla.

So where to next? Spend an afternoon looking into CSS and then spend the rest of your time learning php. It's really close to programming languages and can be very powerful. There are other ones out there that do similar things, but I would say that php is higly adapted by the community.

Three most important languages to learn is:

1) HTML (XHTML)

2) CSS

3) JavaScript

The above three languages are used on the client side (within the brower) to affect the web site functionality.

Beyond this, the languages you use will be for server-side functionality.

they could be PHP, JAVA, the ASP.NET Framework and a language supported by it such as C#. Or one of the many other languages that exist.

then you will want to learn how to store data in a database and that means you will need to learn SQL.

Stick to the first three, and then expand your knowledge.

If you need furhter assistance, then feel free to send me an email: irishtek@yahoo.com

Dreamweaver has CSS, XHTML and XML alone. So I would recommend learning that program first. Actionscript isn't very hard either, very similar to PHP. You can do that last, helps knowing other languages first.

My path for learning web design was:

HTML > CSS > PHP/MySQL > JavaScript > ActionScript

The learning Dreamweaver thing isn't essential, I mostly just use it for organisation and syntax highliting, you will learn dreamweavers features as you learn the other stuff. Learn CSS first, It's very powerful for designing.

you can learn yourself, but there are so many software programs you need to learn, i.e. flash, Java, etc... that at least taking some classes will help you to understand the right programs to use for certain situations. Also, there are things like directing traffic to a website and linking, registering with Google etc... that are essential to making a website sucessful... best of luck, it's a fun career if you can find a good job in that field.

best way to learn is to have go yourself, click on the link below to download some software to get yourself going once installed search google for html and css tutorials once you have learn the basics it will be a lot easier to learn the harder stuff

http://www.freescripteditor.org/

hope this helps

Source(s): Qualified Computer Engineer