Do conservatives who call Obama "fascist" and liberals who called Bush the same, realize that...?

... since fascists cannot remain in power for ANY period of time without the complete annihilation of all political opponents,

- you are essentially saying that it doesn't matter whether you yourselves exist or not?

And while the "mainstream" "left and right" show has been going on, honest-to-goodness fascist types are oozing out of the pus-filled political wasteland.

So while you whine about bank bailouts or Haliburton, maybe somebody (or somebodies) REALLY bad is waiting their turn to try to run this government.

Wanna swear, like the old saying, that "It can't Happen Here"?

Favorite Answer

I agree with you that this is an overused term. I was particularly amused by the right wingers calling Obama a fascist right after they get done calling him a socialist. Can't have it both ways.

I think we are closer to becoming fascist than you think. Fascism, as I was taught it, requires 3 things: capitalism, totalitarianism and militarism. It is hard to argue that we are currently capitalistic and we have the best funded military in the world. That leaves only totalitarianism, where individual liberties are suppressed and the state intrudes everywhere. What scares me is that I can't think of any of the liberties in the Bill of Rights that I can say are really safe from government intrusion. I can point to some case recently where such liberties have been restricted in a number of them.

Sinclair Lewis once said, "When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

"... since fascists cannot remain in power for ANY period of time without the complete annihilation of all political opponents, "

How sure are you that this hasn't already happened?

Okay, I grant you that we have a "two party system," and that you have to vote for either Republicans or Democrats or you might as well not vote,

BUT...

If there WERE a real Third Party....

What would it look like?

Don't you think it would be so radically different that it would make the two existing parties basically look identical?

Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmm."

So, maybe they already have eliminated all opposition, and all that's left are parties that represent Liberalism and More-Liberal-ism.

I simply don't believe it is possible for any two parties, real or imagined, extant or hypothetical, to represent even half of a country this size.

• Joe S

You write:

"since fascists cannot remain in power for ANY period of time without the complete annihilation of all political opponents"

That is an assertion without support. Upon what do you base it? Actually, all dictators have opponents though they may be driven underground if the dictator is ruthless. Even Hitler had organized opposition [1].

I encourage you to read up on the technical economic meaning of fascism. This [2] is a good article to familiarize yourself with it. While the term has certain pejorative connotations that go beyond the technical definition, the U.S. adopted fascist principles around the same time as Mussolini and Hitler. We have continued along that path ever since.

It is not a liberal/conservative thing though. Both Bush and Obama have ruled over fascist regimes as have their predecessors. I agree with one sentiment in your question though. Both sides often use the term as a partisan play without any understanding of what it means.

• mikey

Most people mistakenly relate "fascist" with "Nazi". A fascist is like a socialist, but wants the government to be in total control of private industry. They want the government to tell the media what to report (aka the "Fairness Doctrine") they want to run the banks (watch Obama restrict repayment of the bailout) and they want to run other industry (see Obama firing auto execs?). Fascism is the ultimate big government and that is where Bush kind of had us heading. Obama has pushed the pedal to the metal in that direction now.

Fascism isn't in itself about exterminating the dissenting population, but in hindsight it does seem to have gone along with it. We'll get there eventually I think if we let this government stay in power too long.

Sure sounds like a liberal to me. What mess did President Bush leave? The 4.5% unemployment? The DOW over 14k? National safety and the respect of the world? If that is a mess, I will take that any day. Compare this to the zero we have in office now.

"maybe somebody (or somebodies) REALLY bad is waiting their turn to try to run this government."

Yeah, but it's already happened. The puppets you mentioned are talking heads. They don't make the decisions. They lie and sell. They simply report to us the decisions which are already made.

Edna- That stereotypical insult really reflects on your intellect. So go eat some fried chicken while waiting for your government check, your 6 kids from all different fathers in the hood need some watermelon.

Really, its about the same thing.

After the Republicans give amnesty to 100+ million Conservative Catholic Capitalist Hispanics, their will be no whinning....crying...or begging for handouts...

in the South.

Sadly, the Democrats cant afford them "socially".

Yes think Nancy.

Actually I have been advocating napalming the trailer parks to get rid of the cons for quite a while now.