Do mall department stores really need to know who your last employer was?

I'm in college and I've been working at a hospital for almost 3 years now (technically), I haven't worked a regular shift since November and I haven't clocked into work since January. I am a casual employee, only required to give 4 hrs a week, and my boss said, first family, then school, then work.... show more I'm in college and I've been working at a hospital for almost 3 years now (technically), I haven't worked a regular shift since November and I haven't clocked into work since January. I am a casual employee, only required to give 4 hrs a week, and my boss said, first family, then school, then work. And school has been extremely hard this year thats why I havent worked. I want a different job because I kept getting hurt at my current one. Is it necessary for me to list my most recent job on an application for a department store or mall job? Could I omit it because it is not relevant to the jobs that I am applying for?