promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

ceramic tile over linoleum?

can ceramic tile be laid directly on top of linoleum on a kitchen floor?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • rob s
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No you are not supposed to..The minimum floor thickness 1 1/4 " is needed to properly support tile.

Now if your vinyl is directly over a cement slab and bonded well,there are procedures to tile directly to it.

If your vinyl is glued directly to a subfloor and no thin luan in between you can add a another substrate to the flooring. This is usually a 1/2" cement backer board, laid in a bed of thin set and nailed or screwed down properly .

Any questions you can e mail me through my avatar and check my qualifications there.. GL

Source(s): 20 years in flooring as a store owner/installer
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Gordan
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

If you want it to last, the simple answer is no.

linoleum's top layer is made of a material, similar to plastic, that no mastic or mortar will stick to very well. Some people will suggest roughing up the surface to get a better bond, but this method has been proven to be unsuitable and is not approved. The level of bonding achieved is still not enough for successful tile installation.

The best course of action is to remove the linoleum completely

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

we have a ceramic tile kitchen...same tiles 25 years.i recently noticed the floor underneath from a section under the built in frig.its linoleum.so i guess you can with good results.ask a home depot guy for tips!

• Rob G
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes, this is done all the time. Just verify that the vinyl is bonded to the subfloor well and remove any that isn't. The thinset will easily fill in any pockets the missing vinyl created

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.