What's the tie with scientologists and Clearwater, FL?

Last year we went to my husband's family reunion, we met four of his relatives who are scientologists (we literally had NO idea before we got there). They all actually WORK for the COS. Two of them live in LA, which makes enough sense, but two of them live in Clearwater FL. I spoke with my brother in law who... show more Last year we went to my husband's family reunion, we met four of his relatives who are scientologists (we literally had NO idea before we got there). They all actually WORK for the COS. Two of them live in LA, which makes enough sense, but two of them live in Clearwater FL. I spoke with my brother in law who said that scientologists have kind of taken over Clearwater FL. But I don't really understand. Do any of y'all have further information about it?

Just curious. I know there probably aren't a lot of scientologists on the forum --- heck, I always thought it was EXCLUSIVELY celebrities til I met the relatives of my husband who are part of it. Just thought some of y'all might have more info than what I do, which is obviously very limited.