KL

What's the tie with scientologists and Clearwater, FL?

Last year we went to my husband's family reunion, we met four of his relatives who are scientologists (we literally had NO idea before we got there). They all actually WORK for the COS. Two of them live in LA, which makes enough sense, but two of them live in Clearwater FL. I spoke with my brother in law who said that scientologists have kind of taken over Clearwater FL. But I don't really understand. Do any of y'all have further information about it?

Just curious. I know there probably aren't a lot of scientologists on the forum --- heck, I always thought it was EXCLUSIVELY celebrities til I met the relatives of my husband who are part of it. Just thought some of y'all might have more info than what I do, which is obviously very limited.

Favorite Answer

beisdes having there biggest church there and owning over half the town here is a goof paper article

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/07/18/Tampabay/Sciento...

Well, they can't laugh at their idiot followers because the people in that building who are taking courses *are* the followers. So as previously mentioned, they take courses and so forth. I have many many reservations and critiques of the Church of Scientology, but, on the other hand, if someone wants to take courses in something he or she finds interesting, I'm not going to fault that, nor am I going to mock the person for that. And I can also point out that if they're doing those services as part of the Church's Flag Land base, they're being overcharged. All Scientologists are overcharged because the pricing in the cult is insane, but Flag charges far more for the same services that one can get at local CofS organizations and missions. The members are ripped off and lied to. So any enjoyment or succor they derive from taking the courses or receiving counselling is counteracted by the pressures the cult puts upon them.

Yes, there are non-celebrity scientologists. They must have a facility in Clearwater, and they usually convince followers to work for them for little pay and too many hours.

Scientologists don't really interact with the "outside world" much, so you won't find any of them on here.

I have no idea but "hi"

I met one Scientologist when I lived in New Orleans but I never had a discussion of why and how he was attracted to it. He is a dentist and interestingly, his brother converted to Judaism even though they were raised in a Catholic home.

That is fascinating about your relatives. I don't know about Florida, but I know there is at least one on here. He emailed me to tell me of a conspiracy theory that the Psychiatry industry is corrupt. He wanted me to watch a video....it was a little creepy, quite frankly.

• Dave

i live in Florida and i never heard anything about that (then again i don't go into Clearwater on a regular basis)

Clearwater is where the Church of Scientology's HQ is located.

"The worldwide spiritual headquarters of the Church of Scientology is located in the city of Clearwater, Florida."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearwater,_Florida#S...

scientologists have a "hospital" in Clearwater.....

Source(s): used to live in the area

They own the town.

The police moonlight as armed security for the cult.