Christians, how do you explain these glaring contradictions in the bible?

Creation Contradiction, 1 "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." (Genesis 1:... show more Creation Contradiction, 1

"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." (Genesis 1: 3-5)

"And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth." (Genesis 1:16-17)

Comment

God creates day and night on the first day and then makes the stars and the two great lights (sun and moon) on the fourth day (Genesis 1:19). How can you have day and night on the first day without a star? This describes a dramatic contradiction to the way the actual universe works. To have a day you must have a rotating planet and a sun. Genesis proves that God (or more accurately, the authors of Genesis) could not have known about the structure of the universe, or even the difference between stars and planets

Creation Contradiction, 2
"And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that is was good. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness..." (Genesis 1:25-26)

"And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air..." (Genesis 2:18-19)

Comment
In the first account, man gets created after the beasts, the second account has man created before the beasts . Only a person who exercised warped logic or blind faith could believe this outright contradiction. Yet to the fundamentalist reader, the many hundreds of contradictions and discrepancies in the Bible go by unseen, regardless of how many honest scholars and theologians have discovered otherwise.

In fact there occurs two stories of Genesis, the second story starts at Genesis 2:4. The first story uses Elohim (God in the plural form) and the second story uses the LORD God (Yahweh Elohim, sometimes incorrectly termed Jehovah). Both stories appear markedly different, yet somehow in history the stories got annexed together. This shows the allegorical intent of Genesis rather than a factual account.

Even the belief among non-fundamentalists, that the Bible has kept its original form despite minor changes, has led many theologians to think otherwise. One of the most highly respected theologians, Bruce Metzger, has written extensively on the errors in the Bible. For example, in his book "The text of the New Testament- Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration," Metzger asserts errors due to:

Errors arising from faulty eyesight
Errors arising from faulty hearing
Errors of the mind
Errors of judgment
Difficulties historical and geographical
Alterations from doctrinal considerations
Addition of miscellaneous details.
Many times whole belief systems and vast changes to a society can change from a simple mistranslation of a single word. (For example "virgin" got confused in Isaiah 7:14 for young woman "almah")

Creation Contradiction, 3
"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." (Genesis 1:27)

"And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man." (Genesis 2:21-22)

Comment
In the first account, God created a man and female simultaneously, in God's image. In the second account Adam gets created from the dust (Genesis 2:7), and then later, a woman came from one of Adam's ribs. Again, this shows another difference between the two Genesis story accounts, each contradicting the other.
Update: Edit: The IQ of some of you must be seriously lacking if reading a few paragraphs taxes you so. It always amuses me when someone complains about the length of my posts. It only proves to me that they could not have possibly read their bibles if a few paragraphs strains their brains so much. If you don't... show more Edit: The IQ of some of you must be seriously lacking if reading a few paragraphs taxes you so. It always amuses me when someone complains about the length of my posts. It only proves to me that they could not have possibly read their bibles if a few paragraphs strains their brains so much. If you don't like the length of my posts, than don't read them and don't answer them.
Update 2: Edit: Mr. Indec... I don't need to poke holes in the bible, it does a great job of it all on it's own by contradicting itself at every turn.
11 answers 11