Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between a comic book and a graphic novel?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Eli
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"I don't think there really is a difference exept a comic book is usually in color and a graphic novel isn't. That's about it,,"

Wrong. Where in God's name did you get that idea?

"a graphic novel is long and seroius"

Who says they have to be serious? I've read plenty of comedic GNs

"a comic book is single issue portraying a single adventure"

90% of comics end with a "to be continued" because they tell stories in arcs of several issues, so this isn't correct.

"comic book:american

graphic novel (ussally redirected as manga) are japanese

however, a comic book is a graphic novel, as is manga, a graphic novel is anything like a comic, with pictures and speech bubbles, instead of narroration."

What the? What are you even talking about? There are thousands of American Graphic novels, and the term was invented by an American (Will Eisner)

Look, a comic is the format of telling stories through sequential pictures. It doesn't matter where it's from, what the subject matter is, or what the style of art is. Or if it's color or black and white (which is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard). A comic strip is simply several sequential images in a row which tell a simple story. A comic BOOK is simply a story told through sequential images which lasts for a few pages. It can be 4 pages or 60. It can be a complete story, a collection of shorter stories, or a story with a "to be continued"

All a graphic novel is is a fancy term for lengthy comics, ideally one which contains a complete story in a single volume. It is virtually synonymous with comic book.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Binding Comic books are the issues that look like a magazine where Graphic novels are a bunch of the issues put together into one volume. Graphic Novel is more of a fancy subtype of comic book, but it fine to call a graphic novel a comic book There is a bit of a gray area There are some shorter graphic novels that never had a comic book stage and I'm sure you've seen book anthologies of strips like Peanuts or Calvin & Hobbes, those would not be consider Graphic Novel because well it's not a novel

• Vesey
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Binding

Comic books are the issues that look like a magazine where Graphic novels are a bunch of the issues put together into one volume.

Graphic Novel is more of a fancy subtype of comic book, but it fine to call a graphic novel a comic book

There is a bit of a gray area

There are some shorter graphic novels that never had a comic book stage

and I'm sure you've seen book anthologies of strips like Peanuts or Calvin & Hobbes, those would not be consider Graphic Novel because well it's not a novel

• 1 decade ago

a graphic novel is just that, a novel. A comic book is usually a few pages long that can be read in about 20 min. A graphic novel will take at least a hour to read more likely it will be longer though. A lot of graphic novels though are comics that are but together into a volume, like Sandman, Civil War, and Y the Last man. It just comes down to size.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

the differences between graphic novels and comic books are based mostly on whom you ask. Traditionalist like myself see a vast difference in style and content. the graphic novel is usually done on a very complex and deep story or concept that can be presented looking very much like a novel that is heavy on illumination that offers the authors view of the world as he sees it. To looking like a very long and detailed comic with a very in-depth story or concept. the more Modern readers and writers differentiate comics from graphic novels by simply saying a comic is a twenty to one hundred fifty page magazine, and the graphic novel is a series of comics that follow a major story line under one cover. now that i have said that i am sure you are still as confused as the people writing them especially after the 70's where serialized stories became the standard in the comic book industry. boy do i miss the old days when the differences were as clear as black and white.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

a comic book is single issue portraying a single adventure. a graphic novel is just that, a novel with graphics (pictures, usually in comic book style). watchmen used to be 12 separate comic books until it was reorganized into a graphic novel.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't think there really is a difference exept a comic book is usually in color and a graphic novel isn't. That's about it,,

• 1 decade ago

comic book:american

graphic novel (ussally redirected as manga) are japanese

however, a comic book is a graphic novel, as is manga, a graphic novel is anything like a comic, with pictures and speech bubbles, instead of narroration.

hope this helped :D

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nerds who don't want people to sound smart call comics "graphic novels"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

comic books are short storys that are related in a long series

they are also fun to read

a graphic novel is long and seroius

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.