What kind of bike/bicycle would suit a person with these needs?

I'm thinking of getting a bike in order to do some moderate exercise every day, but I'm not sure what model to look for - I don't know what's ideal for my needs. I'm a 5'7" female. I'm not sure of leg measurements though, all I can say is that my legs are on the longish side for... show more I'm thinking of getting a bike in order to do some moderate exercise every day, but I'm not sure what model to look for - I don't know what's ideal for my needs.

I'm a 5'7" female. I'm not sure of leg measurements though, all I can say is that my legs are on the longish side for my height.

I will be using the bike every day, cycling a few miles at least, purely to increase my own fitness level. I don't intend to become a pro racer or to go off road. ;)

The bike will be used primarily on the miles of very new cycle path which have been laid in my town.

I know from my previous cycling experience that I'm really uncomfortable on those thin framed racing type bikes, I prefer a sturdier frame.

Also, although I'm only 22, I have a bad shoulder (the result of an old whiplash injury) so I'd need a bike that wouldn't stress that too much.

Thanks for your advice!