Why do we have to pay income taxes?

No were in the internal revenue code is the definition of the world "income". How can we pay a tax on something that's not even defined? Now for people that are going to state that they have the Definition of "gross income" and ect. We have a income tax. Not a gross income tax. So how can we... show more No were in the internal revenue code is the definition of the world "income". How can we pay a tax on something that's not even defined? Now for people that are going to state that they have the Definition of "gross income" and ect. We have a income tax. Not a gross income tax. So how can we tax something that's not defined? Couldn't you pay in peanuts if you wanted too?
Update: I heard food in prison is pretty nasty actually. And I'm asking what gives them legal backing to collect this tax without defining it. I never said I would do so. Though how do you collect a tax without defining the thing your going to tax? That seems pretty impossible to me. But if you could give me a link to... show more I heard food in prison is pretty nasty actually. And I'm asking what gives them legal backing to collect this tax without defining it. I never said I would do so. Though how do you collect a tax without defining the thing your going to tax? That seems pretty impossible to me. But if you could give me a link to with someone that brought that argument to the supreme court and lost, it would be much apreciated and would answer my question
Update 2: Wayne Z, is that definition a Supreme Court Ruling?