Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

i came here when i was 3 i got pregnant at 16 and got married to a u.s citizen?

but we are no longer together i'am not here legally can i recieve child support for our u.s citizen daughter??

Update:

WE ARE NO LONGER TOGETHER BUT CAN I GET CHILD SUPPORT FOR OUR U.S CITIZEN DAUGHTER AND WE WERE MARRIED FOR 1 YEAR WERE STILL NOT DIVORCED BUT WERE SEPERATED I HAVE NO INTENTION OF GOING BACK WITH HIM OUR RELATIONSHIP WAS TO MENTAL ABUSIVE WHILE I WAS PREGNAT

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano call her at once

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Simply put:

1) child support has nothing to do with immigration status

2) if you are deported and the father wants custody you most likely will be leaving the child in the US.

3) If you entered illegally you can not adjust status while in the US

4) mental abuse is going to be really hard to prove

5) international child support is dependent on the countries involved. No agreement no child support!

Morally he should pay. Legally...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can go to a family court and get court sanctioned child support payments - it has nothing to do with your immigration status. Your child's father is legally obligated to pay child support until the child turns 18.

Also, when you got married, why didn't you apply for an adjustment of status to legalize yourself? You still are technically married if you have not yet divorced. Contact a lawyer to see what your options are. If you cannot afford one, call your local Legal Aid branch

• 1 decade ago

The father is legally obligated to pay child support. Your attorney should arrange in the separation agreement for the child's father to pay child support. The child support he owes will go to the state if you try to apply for welfare and/or food stamps.

Since you cannot remain in the US as an illegal alien and no valid marriage now, you had better get your baby a passport to your own country and take your baby with you. Your child has a right to citizenship in your country of citizenship.

Since you are separated, there is no valid marriage, no grounds for you to remain, and you are here illegally. If you are deported, the child goes to the father, you get deported and barred, and you'll get no child support since the father will have custody. In fact, you will have to pay child support to him as custodial parent.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Custody and child support issues have nothing to do with immigration, so yes, you can take him to court to request child support.

Even if you were to return to your home country with your daughter, if there's a reciprocal agreement between them and the US, you may still be able to collect child support.

• 1 decade ago

It is possible to sue for child support, yes; but you run the risk of being deported. It would be best to leave voluntarily, return legally, then seek legal remedies.

I'm guessing you didn't file for residency through marriage.

• 1 decade ago

You are still an illegal alien. Your anchor baby will not help you out with that. You should go back to your own country and apply to come back with your anchor child. Yes, the father should be sending support payments to you in your country.

• 1 decade ago

Pretty sure you can since the kid and the father are US citizens. If you move the kid to another country I'm not sure you can get any child support

Were you not married long enough to gain permanant residency through your marriage?

• 1 decade ago

First of all I hope the Dream Act goes through for kids like you, but yes you are entitled to child support even if you went back to your native country, your daughter's father is legally responsible for your child and that has nothing to do with your status here. one other thing, since you are a Victim of domestic violence, you can get your immigration status adjusted but, I'm not sure of the process or what all the requirements are for that, I would call an attorney.

Good Luck

oh, and ignore all of these people on here who do not have anything better to do but, just sit there insulting immigrants trying to make their lives better and insulting girls like you who is not even at fault for being here.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What took you so long to get pregnant?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.