abdiver12 asked in SportsTennis · 1 decade ago

What's your theory on Guillermo Coria and Gaston Gaudio?

These two guys were in the top 10 in 2004, were two of the best claycourters in the world, and had one heck of a scrap in the French Open final which Gaudio barely pulled out in one of the craziest matches ever. From then on, these guys went downhill FAST with Coria retiring just the other day at the ripe old age of 27 saying he didn't want to play anymore. What do you think happened to these guys? There's obviously alot of psychological and emotional problems involved here to explain such spectacular downfalls.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i think coria retired because of that french open lost to gaudio he was the best player on clay in the whole planet at that moment, and was the favorite going in, his reaction in the press conference said it all, he was crying and her choked, that was the main reason he retired.

gaudio:i really don't know he is one of those one slam wonders that fall after their huge win, he just couldn't be consistent.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i guess they just burned out at an early age.

if i remember correctly, nadal, federer and roddick have been ranked in the top 10 for the last 3,4 years, luckily, i do not seem to remember any major events that occurred to those 3 particular players, and to this day, they are still going strong.

but, sometimes players just suffer lack of motivation, and after a long period of time, eventually they just lose the desire to go out on the court and fight it out for a win.

coria had his drug ban, i think it was a 2 year ban (cant remember correctly off the top of my head). gaudio (i think after getting bagelled by fed 6-0, 6-0 in TMC SF in 2005), he just was not really the same after that match.

just my 2 cents worth...

• 1 decade ago

both of them be on best possible place in right time and play best what they can... but, then pro tennis join some new kids!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.