AgronCAS asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Ketchup has too much sugar in it, don't you think?

Heinz, Hunts and other popular ketchup brands have about 23% sugar in it. That is means that in a 28 oz. ketchup bottle, 6.5 oz. is sugar.

Isn't that too much?

Update:

Where can I buy "no sugar" or "less sugar" ketchup?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Not a fan of ketchup, but the family is. Being the scratch cook that I am, I've used the following recipe for quite a few years, and everyone loves it ~ store bought ketchup here has never been missed. Hope it helps ;)

HEINZ KETCHUP (Copycat Version)

This is close. A good ketchup recipe that is cheaper than store bought, and tastes good. You can use all white vinegar. Also, if you can't find the paste with garlic use 1/4 tsp. garlic powder instead.

by morelhunter

35 min | 5 min prep | Serves 24

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste with garlic

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/4 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup water

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 min. Stir often. Remove from heat and cover til cool. Keep in a covered container in fridge.

Source(s): Favorite recipe source for years, and membership is free: http://www.recipezaar.com/Heinz-Ketchup-copycat-ve...
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Ketchup has too much sugar in it, don't you think?

Heinz, Hunts and other popular ketchup brands have about 23% sugar in it. That is means that in a 28 oz. ketchup bottle, 6.5 oz. is sugar.

Isn't that too much?

Source(s): ketchup sugar don 39 think: https://biturl.im/zk108
  • 1 decade ago

You can buy no sugar added ketchup.

****Pretty much any grocery store. It's made by hienze. The worse thing is the amount of sodium. I would buy the no salt added ketchup over the no sugar added.

I had gestational diebetes, and the no sugar added ketchup tatsed awful to me. The no salt added isn't great but it's better than the no sugar one.

• 4 years ago

Make Over 200 Juicy, Mouth-Watering Paleo Recipes You've NEVER Seen or Tasted Before?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kelley
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

yes, that's way too much.

like most other foods in our culture, we buy "sweet, salty, and fat". the producers can only make what sells so we demand a sweet ketchup. did you know that ketchup can be made out of other things, including walnuts.it hasn't always been made out of tomatoes. It used to be a more general term for sauce, and I think the original "ketchup" was a brown sauce made from mushrooms and herbs and spices

"It started out as a general term for sauce, typically made of mushrooms or fish brine with herbs and spices. Mushroom ketchup is still available in some countries, such as the UK. Some popular early main ingredients include blueberry, anchovy, oyster, lobster, walnut, kidney bean, cucumber, cranberry, lemon, and grape."

there is even something called "banana" ketchup" but i haven't tried it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes but its yummy! Whats the difference between tomato sauce and ketchup???

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.