Do i need a new motherboard?

I recently bought a new hp pavilion dv9000 laptop and found out that it wont charge. I tested the battery and the power cord and they are working fine. A guy from geek squad told me that i need a new motherboard, but before i go spend $200 on a new one, i would like some confirmation that a motherboard would solve my problem.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It could be, that a power surge or brownout (perhaps from a recent lightning storm?) has hit and your surge protector has failed and passed it along to your power supply and / or your other components.

the first thing I would do, is reset the CMOS then reset them to enabled if necessary.

If no luck, then I would have a full off-line diagnostic run on the system to eliminate any windows specific problems. A common tool to do this is knoppix linux, a bootable operating system that can recognize your hardware on the fly.

A good guide to using knoppix is "Computer First Aid Using Knoppix" http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppi... which shows basic file recovery methods - however since it does a decent job of detecting your pc hardware the sound and usb should also fare well. I would try it without the sound card (to see if the on-board sound is working) then again disable the on-board sound in BIOS and put in the card and see if that works as well.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, it could be the motherboard. If you recently purchased it new it should have a warranty on it.

Check it out.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes. The power connections are dead, like my friends'.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.