B

does mexico celebrate the fourth of july?

since cinco de mayo is celebrated here, i wonder if our independence day is celebrated there. i know its two completely different holidays, but why is a foreign holiday celebrated here?

and i know what independence day stands for and that it is exclusively an american holiday, but the last time i checked, there is no "day of the dead" holiday here. i don't need people telling me what independence day is. thats 2nd grade sh*t.

Favorite Answer

No. July 4th is not celebrated in Mexico, except perhaps by Americans who live there or are traveling there.

In case this isn't clear, Cinco de Mayo is NOT Mexico's Independence Day (that's Sept. 16). It's a minor holiday in Mexico, commemorating the Battle of Puebla, in which a poorly armed force of Mexicans beat up the more powerful invading French army. Mexicans do not go out and get drunk to celebrate the holiday. It's barely noted, but Cinco de Mayo seems to be getting more attention there in recent years because of all the U.S. fuss over it.

Cinco de Mayo became popular in the United States in the 1960s and 70s as part of the Chicano rights movement, when Mexican-Americans wanted to promote a holiday to celebrate their/our culture. Cinco de Mayo was chosen both because of its symbolism and its date: The symbology of the little guy prevailing; and the convenience of the date happening while schools are in session so that teachers could use it as a historical lesson (back then, many schools didn't open until late September).

But a lot of this has been lost in marketing. Beer companies, especially, took advantage of the occasion to make this a giant let's-get-drunk festival, much as has happened to St. Patrick's Day.

As for your Day of the Dead comment, just wait. Dia de los Muertos indeed is celebrated by many Mexicanos/Chicanos, especially in the West and Southwest. I bet it will spread in influence. When I was a kid, Cinco de Mayo was very much a Mexican/Chicano celebration. Now I was shocked to see the other day that even news personalities on the CW channel in Tampa were counting down the top Honky Tonk songs for Cinco de Mayo. Go figure.

But Day of the Dead may not explode in the same way because it's a hard holiday to market. It's a pretty somber, religious holiday. In Mexico, families go to cemetaries to clean their loved ones' gravestones and to honor the departed by laying out their favorite food and drinks. It's a beautiful tradition, but I don't know how big business expects to make money off of it.

I'm linking below a story about the roots of Cinco de Mayo in the U.S.

cinco de mayo is celebrated here because its a good reason to get really drunk

why wouldnt americans like a holiday where you sit around and get drunk all day?

also, i dont think that other countries celebrate the fourth of july

the fourth of july is when AMERICA got its independence not when mexico got its independence or any other country, BUT if other countries do celebrate the independence of america, its probably jsut an excuse to get drunk and light some fireworks

Fourth of July is when the thirteen colonies got their freedom from Britain in 1776 .So do you think that Mexico was part of the thirteen colonies in that time?

Source(s): My History TEXTBOOK.
  • Teuna

Good grief. Cinco De Mayo is NOT the independence date of Mexico. It is the date the Mexican Army beat the French Army..... Do a google before you post dumb questions.

That's a good question and I hope you get valuable answers

• tamala

Great topic, just what I was searching for.

This is puzzling to me too

I believe so