Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why do some pro-lifers act like having a child should be your punishment for having "irresponsible sex"?

Isn't this sending the wrong message to the little ones?

I've seen alot of questions about abortion, and a large part of the answers go along the lines of "you made your bed, lie in it" or "you're just going to have to DEAL with the consequences of having sex!!!". Always there is something about the Bible and God giving us what we deserve and so on.

So, having a child is some sort of punishment for having irresponsible sex? How would your child feel about that?

Favorite Answer

It's a sad, sick frame of mind isn't it? That's one hell of a price to pay. Fundie selfishness will never cease to amaze me.

Edit* An unwanted child is not a blessing. Just because you want children doesn't mean every woman on the planet should be forced to carry one. Abstinence for life is the most ignorant suggestion I've ever heard.

Every cause has an effect. If you have sex, you will more then likely get pregnant. (Even with the evils of "the pill", you still can be with child).

I am Catholic, I am Pro-Life, I know and love (not sexual, but love from the heart) many people who have had an abortion. It is neither up to me nor any pro-life person to judge anyone, but if they truly love you, they will warn you when you are about to sin. True love wants what is best for the other.

Our messed up secular society is so far from God and His love that most people see kids has a punishment, a truly religious person sees kids for what they truly are, a blessing from God. The Bible says that through motherhood you can be brought closer to God. Know God and know happiness.

If you know anyone who is pregnant, abortion will not solve the problems, it just adds to it. Scientific studies prove that abortion can lead to cancer and there is such a thing as post abortion depression syndrome. (Forgive me, I know I have the name wrong, but that’s close.)

If a pregnant lady cannot take care of the child, I know of several couples who cannot have children and would love to adopt a baby.

Having a baby is not a punishment, nor do any pro-life people that I know, would say it is a punishment.

Babies are a blessing. Abortion leaves one dead & one wounded, if you must choose, “choose life”.

Deuteronomy 30: 19 - I call heaven and earth today to witness against you: I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live.

(I will pray for you.)

The problem arises in the fact that I've seen people seek an abortion because they have been irresponsible in their intimacy. And that definitely is sending the wrong message to any one that observes the problem.

The younger sister of a close childhood friend became pregnant and her parents shipped her off to Europe to have an abortion. This was in the 1950s. It was something that was done because of the "shame" of the out-of-wedlock to-be child.

Our sexual intimacy, because it can result in bringing a new life into the world, is very much an act that needs to be approached in a responsible manner.

Are you suggesting that we should treat sexual intimacy in a casual, non-responsible manner?

===

I am not suggesting that a young couple in love who engage in intimacy are irresponsible.

One-night flings with no thought to forming a permanent relationship is another matter.

Why do some pro-abortionists act like having a child is a punishment for having irresponsible sex?

You do have to deal with the consequences no matter what choice you make. An abortion is not a get out scot free card!

Having a child YOU conceived is not a punishment.

• Emily

True! but the statistics show that to be only .5%. So small that it doesn't count really! Now there is a much larger number of 13% of married women who have had an affair and seek abortion. But this still falls un the title of convenience abortion!

• Do not even get me started already...

The mixed messages are sad.

The idea that they can stop people from free will choice without playing Gods right hand is ridiculous

Laying trips on the childrens brains is cruel, and God never appointed any of them to be judge jury or executioner..

oops

opened my keyboard again..

First off, let me say I am a hardcore atheist, so nothing I'm mentioning will have any shred of God in it.

Even though sex is a natural, beautiful thing, it's also a thing which has consequences and unwanted outcomes sometimes. To be a mature, responsible adult, one has to recognize these risks as an adult, and accept them before diving in headfirst.

Whether a person is pro-life or pro-choice, the situation is the same. If two people engage in sexual intercourse, and a pregnancy results, those are the consequences they had to accept prior to the act.

One has to be responsible for his or her choices instead of whining and crying that he or she got a raw deal when he or she knew the possible outcomes of a given situation.

This is akin to feeling as though you shouldn't be responsible when you drink and drive and cause a fatal accident. You knew what could possibly happen if you drank and tried to operate a vehicle. It was your choice, but they are also your consequences.

I don't know any pro-lifer that considers a child to be a form of punishment.

But you do have to admit, if two people do the action that makes babies, and they make a baby, why should they be upset about it? They certainly know that sex is still the best and easiest way to conceive a child, don't they? So having a baby is a logical outcome of being sexually active.

It's the abortion rights advocates that make the baby seem like an unjust punishment that ought to be eliminated.

As a social worker, I can honestly say it only punishes the unwanted chilren. Always. Government housing is overwhelmed by unwanted and unadopted children. Do you know orphanages still exist in the US? Most barren couples waiting to adopt do not want the majority of kids out there. They want Caucasian newborns. They don't want toddlers or teenagers and pro-lifers ignore the fact that the American adoption process needs reform. The answer is not to send every un-aborted baby to child services.

It also infuriates me when that sort of logic gets into, "Sex should be saved for marriage!" which is fine in theory, but they seem to forget that MARRIED WOMEN GET ABORTIONS TOO. I can't believe how hard they work to oppose contraceptives and other real-life solutions. Under the Bush administration, they took money away from job-placement services for welfare mothers to promote marriage classes telling them to find a husband and be a stay-at-home mother. This is VERY dangerous ideology.

You sound just like Pres. Obama. He said that if one of his daughters came home pregnant he would not punish his daughters by having them have the child. Getting pregnant is the outcome of some sexual encounters. For the most part women choose to have sex, and when a baby is conceived from that act- they do have a responsibility. They do not have to parent, if they choose not too, but how can you say it is ok to take the life of the baby that did not even ask to be conceived. A baby is not a punishment- a baby is a gift- so the woman should either parent the child and that child will be their gift, or place for adoption, and it can be a gift to a couple that cannot conceive. I am adopted and have 2 adopted children- and our birth mothers knew how precious life was, even though they themselves did not chose to parent!!!!!!!!

Children aren't punishment, that's ridiculous. A baby comes in to this world completely innocent. Saying a child is a type of punishment reminds me of that Carrie story by Stephen King. I'm pretty sure her mother thought Carrie was punishment simply for existing.

But let's face it- in most cases (aka "the traditional way")- babies are a result of sex. In a perfect world, people would be responsible about that.