Is having Michael Steele as the RNC Chairman, the Republican counter to having a Democratic black president?

Since African-Americans typically vote Democratic, is this just an excuse to try capture some of the black vote next time? Like, some kind of "token"? Seeing as how many Republicans are trying to limit his financial responsibility over committee money, one would think that they weren't really behind... show more Since African-Americans typically vote Democratic, is this just an excuse to try capture some of the black vote next time? Like, some kind of "token"? Seeing as how many Republicans are trying to limit his financial responsibility over committee money, one would think that they weren't really behind him, other than just trying to put a new "face" on their party in order to seem like they are trying to be progressive.

I am not saying the man is not qualified, I just question Republican motives.

Do you think he would be RNC Chairman if Obama were not president?
Update: Why is someone calling ME a racist?? I'm talking about the Republican Party. Personally, I'm all for affirmative action, the ACLU and having a black president. I'm just saying that the Republican party hasn't particularly been known as an all inclusive group.
Update 2: I'm glad some people see the point. Exactly the same reason that McCain chose Palin as a running mate. He wanted to steal the female vote from Obama. It would be nice to see them embrace diversity without some hidden motive behind it.