how can I stop water coming through an air vent?

due to building regulations I had to have an air vent put in one bedroom the water is now coming through and making stuff in the airing cuboard wet anyone got any ideas how to stop it,could i stick a plastic bag in it?

Best Answer

It does sound like a condensation problem. Cold outside air versus warm inside temperatures equals water. You need to have that pipe insulated to keep it from condensing. Whoever did your initial job, probably shouldn't have. It sounds like a poor "do it yourself" job. Is it a pipe thru the sidewall, or is it thru the roof? Either way, insulation is a must, in this kind of fix.

Flow through ventilation. I wish I had that. Air only flows out my vents when I turn on the fan. I am thinking "what if the fan did not work in the winter in -40Temperatures?" Yeah, I would have a frosted popsicle betwixt the legs. I have had fans that have worn out and one froze inside because there was no air flow. In your case you may have a rust hole under the truck or a vent hose has disconnected or rotted away. Those last 2 are the first things I would check.as they only require eyeballs.

your question leave room to wonder what or how the vent was installed. could be a simple fix. Maybe the vent leaks at the roof line.

I would check the evaporator coil and drip pan make both are clean and the water is draining from the pan

you say you had it put in.do you mean by a contractor.call him to correct it.this could cause much damage.all water must be controlled.the vent may need to be insulated.due not put it off.

Needs a cap on the outside

I suspect the evaporator coil (cooling coil) is dirty. The fan is blowing water off the coil. Check your filter before having your coil cleaned.