Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

How big is the difference between the Arabic dialects?

I am learning the Urban Hijazi dialect of Arabic from the Foreign Service Institute Course. I can't find a good course for Modern Standard Arabic or I would learn that, but I was wondering if I learn the Urban Hijazi dialect will an Egyptian be able to understand me? Do you know any good program other than FSI to learn Arabic?

Thank You,

Alex

Best Answer

yeah buddy, there is this website i'm learning arabic through it:

http://www.arabicollege.com

you can learn Modern Standard Arabic online with Live Video Interactive Classes with Native Arabic Teachers ,with full unlimited access 24 hours a day, and any time you like 24/7.

after you reach to some certain level you can choose any dialect you wanna learn , it is very easy method for anybody. i sure you that i've been learning for five months and i am good at it.

you can try it first , they have three days free trial.. Good Luck

Source(s): Student @ arabicollege.com

well let make it simple: there is standard arabic and this arabic is spoken in news a lot of tv programs news papers and we also write in standard arabic we dont write in in dialects( although some "cool" teenagers do so in chatrooms and stuff) due to the Arab worlds diversity and because many countries speak the Arabic language over the time every country got its own special dialect. Note; a dialect is diffrent from an accent a dialect envolves the use of completly diffrent words and diffrent ways of pronouncing the same letter. Nearly every arabic country has its own dialect although some countries have similar dialects like Gulf countries( saudi, Qutar etc..) and syria and lebanon has similar dialects.. egypt has its own uniqe dialect. Most Arabs will understand all diffrent dialects exept maybe for western arabia like morroco and alegeria which has verry diffrent dialect coz remember its not a diffrent language its a dialect. within every country u also have accents for example in lebanon we have a southern accent and a beirut accent. accents are just slight diffrences in the pronounciation of th word. here is an example of a sentence in standard arabic and diffrent dialects. English: i am hungry but i need the toilet standard; Ana jaa'e laken orreedo an azhab el al hamam Lebanese: Ana Jou'En bas bade rooh al hamEm syria; Ana Jou AAn bas bEdeh rooh al hamAAm Kuwait: Ana you'an bas abee arooh al hamAm Egypt: Ana Go'an bas awez arooh el hamam Saudi; Ana jou'an bas abgha arooh el hamam Iraqi: Ana you'an bas areed arooh al hamAm another eg english: what are u tomorw standard: mazza sata'fa' ghadan? Kuwaity; Shinoo Endek bacher? lebanese; Shu endak abokra? United arab emirates: Shu endek bokra? egypt: endak eh bokra? i hope i made that simple for u. :) Edit) Learn the standard one u ll understand all of them and be able to learn other dialects later. If u had to choose a specific dialect ireccomend the lebanese its more classy than egyptian. regards Dark N

I'm learning Arabic as well, but I'm learning MSA. From my Arabic-speaking friends, I have heard that dialects are generally mutually intelligible, but it may take a few moments for Arabic-speakers of two different regions to fully understand each other. Most Arabic-speakers understand Egyptian and Lebanese Arabic, because most of the news and television shows come from those countries.

I'm interested to see what kind of answers you'll get from native speakers.

Hathan muafaqan!

the Hijazi dialect is close to the Egyptian dialect

anyway the Hijazi dialect is understandable in most Arab countries

Cairo Institute for Arabic Language Sciences organizes lessons in Arabic language teaching in the classroom (at the Institute - Cairo) and on the Internet.

Cairo Institute teaches Modern Standard Arabic MSA and the Holy Qur'an.

Educational materials in the Cairo Institute based on:

1 - Holy Qur'an (written and visual).

2 - "Alkitabulasasi" - the Arab Organization for Education, Culture and Sciences - Tunisia.

3 - some books in Grammer and Arab Rhetoric.

4 - Some vidios from the Institute selection - the voices - this VIDIES speak MSA.

5 - some other materiales..

Teachers at the Institute have great experience in this field (in the class or online).

Institute provides some other services for students in Cairo.

More;

Ibrahim

0020109758962

WWW.ARABICINEGYPT.COM

LEARNARABICONLINE@YAHOO.COM

there is a lot of ways you can learn arabic , you can go to school or you can learn online, or you can teach yourself by yourself with books and CDs , But you have to be patient..