Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

What is terminal leukemia?

Favorite Answer

Leukemia takes lives of children and adults every day but at the same time, there are many survivors that are in remission and doing very well. The most common cancer for children and young people is leukemia, and the most common type of leukemia is called either Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, or Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). How well a patient does depends on so many different factors including age, cell counts, what type and subtype of leukemia he or she has, the will to fight, and so many other factors.

Terminal cancer in general is the final stages of cancer in which it is clear that the patient will more likely than not be taken by the disease. So, more specifically, terminal leukemia is the leukemia winning the battle. Quite often when the cancer is termed terminal, the goal of treatment is to create maximum comfort rather than attacking the disease.

My son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. There's no actual tumour as in other cancers but leukemia is a cancer of the cells that create blood cells. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of chemo and 1 consolidation round and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 4-6 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone.

A leukemia diagnosis is absolutely not a death sentence. It's treatable but you have to keep in mind that it does take lives. I know many children and adults that have gone on to live completely normal lives after getting their No Evidence of Disease (NED) status. Sometimes a patient does relapse but it is absolutely possible that he or she can reach remission and eventually NED status.

I hope this helped you out some. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli

Terminal Leukemia

They may be able make some rough estimates. The use of the word 'terminal' would be based on factors other than leukemia type. They might be considering the blood counts, especially. Someone will not live very long with a white count in the hundreds of thousands, for example. Red cells and platelets can be transfused of course, if the patient chooses. I am guessing that if they are not going to do the tests to verify the type that they are not planning to treat it aggressively. Offer whatever support and love you can and create an environment so that you and your loved person can enjoy the time you spend together. MM

Leukemia is a blood/bone marrow cancer effecting the white blood cells. It can effect children and adults, some forms are more common in children, and others in adults. Terminal leukemia would mean that the person with it would die. It would be because the treatments failed, or were failing.

Source(s): terminal leukemia patient

Hi everyone my name is Carlos Benavides. One of my friends recently died of leukemia and his family is having a difficult time paying for funeral and medical expenses. I started a gofundme account to raise money for his family. Please find it in your heart to donate what you can it would really be appreciated. It is 100% legitimate cause where ALL proceeds go to the family, thank you in advance :) gofund.me/ngbwe4

Generally, it is a form of blood cancer that has little hope of successful treatment.