Which Bible is the inerrant, God inspired Word of God?

Were the original manuscripts (which no longer exist) the inerrant, God inspired word of God, or is it the Bible we know today (copies of the copies of the copies of the copies)?

Since they aren't exactly the same, which one is the "right" one?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is nothing more reliable in the ancient records than the manuscripts of the Bible.

Until recently, the oldest manuscript for the Prophet Isaiah date only to about 1000 AD. People questioned the reliability for that reason. Then around 1948, a complete manuscript of the Prophet Isaiah was found among the Dead Sea scrolls dating to between 100 BC - 100 AD.

It was virtually identical to the manuscripts already in existence.

The New Testament manuscripts are FAR more reliable and the weight of evidence far exceeds any other ancient writing, with over 500 manuscripts in the original Greek dating before 500 AD. This is besides the thousands of quotes from the Scriptures contained in the writings of the early Church Fathers. The entire New Testament could be reproduced from their writings alone except for about 70 verses in the New Testament. All this in spite of many attempts to destroy any record of the Bible.

The New Testament you find today and most every major translation is a highly reliable source of the Words and teachings of Jesus Christ and His Apostles. The only question remaining is, what do you intend to do about it? God is waiting for your answer.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Good question. Even the King James Bible says on the title page "...and with the former translations diligently compared and revised." No one who really knows the Bible (and who knows people) thinks that there were no errors in copying the Bible. And they don't need to. Because there is no other book in the world that was hand copied so carefully, in which the mistakes were so carefully catalogued and documented, and certainly no other ancient book that was spread by means of so many copies . Oddly enough, this PROTECTED the original Bible's integrity, so that in our day it is possible to have a Bible with practically no mistakes, certainly no serious ones.

How? Think about it. Lots of different people making copies of the Bible at all periods of history. Lots of very human people making an occasional human mistake. But NO TWO PEOPLE MAKING A MISTAKE IN EXACTLY THE SAME PLACE. So if you got copies of the Bible together from many different people, and went through the Bible verse by verse, ALL COPIES WOULD SAY THE SAME THING IN EVERY VERSE EXCEPT THE ONE WITH A MISTAKE. This would make the mistake stand out like a sore thumb, so it could then be corrected. Do the same with the next verse, and on through the entire Bible. This science is called "textual criticism" and has resulted in it being possible to produce a Bible now with nearly no mistakes.

Thus, when the Dead Sea Scroll of the Bible book of Isaiah was discovered, ELEVEN HUNDRED YEARS OLDER than the oldest scroll that they had at the time, it was found to say exactly the same thing, with only minor difference of punctuation and spelling even after eleven hundred years of copying. Thus, Sir Frederick Kenyon, a director of the British Museum, wrote fifty years ago, 'Thus, the final basis for doubt that the Scriptures have come down to us substantially as they were originally written has now been removed.' This hasn't stopped many religions from translating and interpreting it to suit themselves, though, but the Bible actually said that that would happen (Matthew 13, the "weeds among the wheat") forcing sincere persons to "dig" to get at the truth, which no sincere person minds doing. And you'll have to do, too, if you want the truth. So the real question is, how bad do you want the truth? (compare John 4:23,24))

Source(s): "All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial", Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pa.(Jehovah's witnesses)
  • 4 years ago

Yes .. Inspired by God Inerrant enough in the words of first century brothers that I can consider their knowledge in context and would not wish to change any word of it. The scriptures have remained relevant for this long, and I believe the Lord intended them to suffice until His return ~ which I don't think is so far away now. If someone gave me a gift of gold, I wouldn't want to complain about the colour of the packaging !

• thom
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I think the question you are asking hasn't been quite answered yet.

I think the bible we have today is definitely God inspired.

I also believe the only inerrant word of God is Jesus himself.

the original manuscripts are lost to time yet the bible still makes sense, I see that as God's hand at work.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mike gave a good answer. But, to give a more direct answer....

Many Christians believe that the autographs were inspired and inerrant.

We *know* that copy errors have crept in, and we can be *certain* that translation errors exist - and the bible, by *definition*, is a translation. Therefore, no bible is without error.

However, modern, scholarly translations are our best, most careful effort to convey the word of God with 100% accuracy and 100% precision. They are the closest thing to the perfect word of God that we have.

What *I* would like to see is a bible translated with the same high scholarly standard without any concern for **conciseness**. Much precision is lost because concise translation is so important to the translators - and has always been so.

Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Technically the autographs were inspired. However we have accurate manuscripts that are copies of the original documents. Most of the errors in the Bible are nonsense errors. Example: John's vs. John'es. That sort of thing.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That is the question. read about the history of the bible.

The "Bible"; From the Greek "Byblos" (spell?) meaning book.

It is NOT one book it is a collection of books which were written from much older oral (word of mouth) traditions about 900 BC

The New Testament was collected and Defined as "Canon" about 350 AD at the order of the non-Christian Roman emperor Constantine who decided to make Christianity the official state religion of the roman empire since the old system was collapsing.

A group of Bishops and scholars got together and decided what was "official" and what was "just written or told by people"

Remember, until just recently 1500's MOST people could NOT READ

Also what language do you think god used, to "write in"

do you think the Koran was written by god? Good Muslims do!

Jehovah's Witnesses think that god gave Joseph Smith golden tablets written in a mysterious language which only he could decipher and the then the tablets were taken away.

Do you see a pattern here?

Don't "believe me" research the history of the Bible and other religions.

Hebrew B

Source(s): Rationalist
  • 1 decade ago

No bible today is inerrant, since they were assembled by men with an agenda. The original manuscripts are not inerrant as well, considering the contradictions contained therein.

• Sugar
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The Holy Bible Translations are for different people with various understanding.I have about eight different translations...And the message is basically the same. Just a different way of saying it.

• 1 decade ago

The Holy Quran!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.