Why dont Americans value their rights?

Okay so i was wondering how come we the people just sit back and let the government control our lives and take our rights away little by little?

I keep hearing people on here complaining about the government getting too involved. But what I dont understand is why do we keep electing those kind of presidents? Do Americans even care about their freedom, and rights? If so then why are just sitting back and allowing the government to take it away?

Best Answer

people are more concerned with image than policies, it's like a guy that tells a girl whatever she wants to hear , just to get her into bed... and we all know who's getting screwed.

The reason is simple, I know exactly why. One word, fear, who wouldn't be afraid? The government is constantly barraging the US with media concerning terror, war, and disease. The police go about putting people in prison constantly for extremely minor offenses, and often destroy peoples lives. Why? Well our community has been destroyed through out this nation. Personally, I have a plan, it is going to take some time, some difficulty but through it will be a new nation with similar ideals and as much, if not more freedoms than what was had with the original constitution. The first thing I suggest you do is get yourself a gun, get your friends a gun, and all of your family members each a gun. We will stand united and our public servants will once again be just that, a small organization for serving us rather than we serving them.

Source(s): v

Mostly it is because people are uneducated as to what their rights actually are, why they are protected by the Constitution, or what the conditions were that prompted the founding fathers to specify them in that document. Also, people are generally lazy and it is easier for people to sit on their butts and let the government do everything for them. They would rather live in tyranny and have the government give them a mediocre lifestyle than put forth the effort to live free and pursue their own dreams and desires. I teach students who are apathetic and unmoved by the sacrifices of their ancestors and the opportunities they have because of it today. They see no duty to those who fought oppression, slavery, genocide, or injustice, no need to take advantage of what their blood, sweat, and suffering provided them. It is very sad and very unsettling for me to watch on a daily basis, year after year, while our nation slides further and further away from what the founders intended and towards what they feared the most for this country.

• bwlobo

LHOOQ says the majority supported Obama's policies. I say, the majority didn't have a clue what Obama's policies were!

Americans don't value their rights because many Americans don't know their rights. They have not learned them in their mandated government class in high school and they learn to denigrate the Constitution and the Bill of Rights in any public university. Odaby Wilcox's answer proves my point!!!

A popular President which blathers about policies but speaks no substance can fool many people. As he continues to reach out and pander to his Left Liberal fringe, maybe more Americans will get a clue about what Obama actually believes and what philosophy of life on which he bases policy decisions.

There are those who tried to warn the American public. The elite media never, ever vetted Obama as a candidate and they blush with enchanted joy as they make embarrassingly stupid remarks about this perfected man.

Source(s): bwlobo

We have become lazy and too complacent . We have too many people on welfare and such that have no reason to even be on it . We have the rich getting richer on tax deductions that none of us can afford and crooked politicians spending money to get billions more from such as the recently passed Pork Stimulus Bill .

We need to all start paying attention because it will not be the rich who go ddown without so much as a fight , rather they will go down kicking and screaming and making themselves heard , while John W. Public just rolls over and plays dead with oh well there is nothing we can do about it and if that is our resxponse , we deserve everything we get

Because people think that posting questions and comments on a web site is exercising free speech. Because the 2 main canedents are both the same. Of courses the the media and company's are going to expose and give money to the canedent that is going to help them out. So they blow up 2 canedents that have the same look on things. You should check out Ron Paul. The news tryes to make him look like a "wacko" but every time they do he striks back with a really educated answer. You thought obama was smart?This guy makes obama look like a retard.

Well, the modern welfare state was born in the 40s and has been getting bigger ever since. Government schools teach people that the founding fathers who created limited government are evil white men. You know what I mean. It all makes sense.

I can't even get a Yahoo Answers account past level 4 due to my insubordination against the collective.

I would say I value the Constitution, all of it, at a level 10 the highest in your survey. The Constitution is a very generally written document so it will be as valid today as it was in the 18th Century. I am not such a conservative as to interpret an 18th Century document in the strictest of terms as we are now in the 21st Century and, while concepts are still valid exact wording may not be valid. This is why we have the Supreme Court. They interpret the meaning of the Constitution as times and needs of the country change.

well people get blinded by "change" but they don't realize that change is ridding us of our freedoms. Lot's of the people are hoping to get more money from social security and steal from the rich and stuff like that. If you take from the rich they have less money. Less money they have to hire workers. No matter what we do they will still live the same lifestyle so get over it.

You ever hear that song " You don't know what you've got till it's gone" ? Well that's pretty much it in a nut shell, people take things for granted and don't do anything till it's late in the game or to late to do anything. I value my rights, and I do what I can, but there is only so much I can do. God bless.

Unfortunately without the "government" your rights would be severely hindered due to not having military, police, or firemen to protect you...not to mention having decent roads and public transportation to take you places....or county hospitals to take tare of you. So you see we really need to have the government around just for your simple existence.