Marriage for the sake of getting married?

So, I'm pretty hell-bent on wedding + a child (or bun in oven) before I'm 23. I'm a junior in college, and I'll be 21 this year. My best prospect for marriage and I just broke up a few weeks ago, after 3 months of dating (and he was sooo marry-able, before I realized he was a big jerk). My question now is-- how terrible is it that I decided the very next person I date (most likely the person I'm talking to now) will be The One, just so that we can date for about a year before the nuptials?

As of right now, I'm only mildly attracted to him (I find him kind of boring at times) but I really just want to play it safe: he's a few years older that me, about to finish grad school and already has a great job, and he just seems to be the kind of low-key, drama-free guy I need.

So...bad idea? Not so bad? Has anyone else found themselves in this position?

LOL, thanks guys.

In the back of my mind I knew I was being absolutely ridiculous I guess I just need the disapproval of strangers to bring me back to reality. I wish I could 10pts all of you.

Favorite Answer

Why so much pressure on getting married and having kids? You've got plenty of time to do that. I don't think you should rush into ANYTHING especially not marriage or children because it could end up ruining everything. Many couples divorce because they rushed and married too young. Go with the flow of things and enjoy your life, things will fall into place. Hope this helps.

I won't even go into how dumb you sound, but I forget you are very young. With an attitude like that, you'll be married and divorced with a kid at 25. Hope you have a good education to support a child.

If you really want to find someone to marry, try Match.com or eHarmony---at least you can see if those guys want to be married.

Good luck with that. We'll read about your divorce on here no doubt. Why the hell are you so hell bent on being married with a baby by a certain age. I like how you just assume that some guy is going to marry you just because you've got "plans" for him to marry you. Maybe your last guy wasn't a jerk, but he just decided that you're crazy.

You are not ready to get married. Find out what you really want and find your career in life and get on with that. There is more to life than marriage and having children. You do not need to get involved with any man right now. Best wishes for you.

Maybe you should see a councilor about this obsession. I don't think it is a good idea. You should wait until you fine Mr. Right and are marrying for love not because you want to get married. Your relationship won't last and it will cause you, him and the child pain.

Really stupid and immature.

Finish your college, get a job, get settled in life with your own place and own car, have fun, go out with the girls, have one night stands.....then, when you've done all that start considering meeting someone for a long-term relationship.

ADD: I'm glad we were able to put back some sense into you...:)

I think that has to be one of the most stupid things I've ever heard. Have fun in divorce court, and with knowing you sold yourself short just to stick to a time line.

bad I dea your still young wait fo mr right get established in your career

Very bad idea. Good luck with it though.

For someone who seems to be book smart (TC in Homework Help?) you sure are stupid.