Worried about Leukemia Symptoms?

I am worried as I am experiencing a lot of symptoms that sound like leukemia

I have been experiencing the following symptoms for the last few months

Nausea

Dizziness

Hip pain

Abdominal pain

General malaise

I started to worry and get panic attacks, so my doctor gave me some citalopram to try and calm me down as she thought it could be anxiety.

Over the past couple of days I have got a really bad case of thrush and am having a pain in my chest

Should I speak to my doctor about this

Favorite Answer

With any symptoms that interfere with your normal life, you should always mention to your doctor. I think anyone here would agree and say the same thing.

What you're describing, to me, does not sound like leukemia but I am not a physician and you should talk to yours. Looking at some of your other questions it look like the pain you have is mostly muscular - with leukemia, the pain is mostly bone pain. The nausea and dizziness may be side effects of the citalopram.

My son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. It's not that he just bruised easily, but his whole forearm was bruising when he fell on the carpet - and it's not that far of a fall onto soft carpet for a 2 year old. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed (through blood tests looking for certain markers) we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of chemo, 1 consolidation dose and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 3-5 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone.

I hope this helped you out some. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli

Sometimes an infection, which can cause swollen lymph nodes, can also cause thrombocytopenia (low platelet count). A low platelet count will cause gum bleeding and bruising. So there are other things that may be causing you symptoms but I would definitely go to your doctor as soon as possible to get checked out and have blood work done.