PETA & paint on fur coats.?

You know, as much as I dislike PETA, I have to admit it always made me smirk when I heard stories about them throwing paint on fur coats. I'd never destroy someone's property, but I think there's a special place in hell for people who know how the fur is gathered, and yet still buy it. But now... show more You know, as much as I dislike PETA, I have to admit it always made me smirk when I heard stories about them throwing paint on fur coats. I'd never destroy someone's property, but I think there's a special place in hell for people who know how the fur is gathered, and yet still buy it.

But now that I'm thinking about it, it's kind of stupid, isn't it? People who buy fur generally have more money than God (or are at least better off than the majority) and buying another coat probably isn't going to break the bank, eh? As much as I hate fur, is PETA doing any real good here, or just exacerbating the problem when the people buy another coat?
Update: It's worth noting that I realize when they do it, it's about the publicity, not the destruction of property as revenge. But still, that has little effect on people who have made up their minds about fur being worth the fashion aspect, innocuous, or evil. If anything, I don't think it sways people... show more It's worth noting that I realize when they do it, it's about the publicity, not the destruction of property as revenge. But still, that has little effect on people who have made up their minds about fur being worth the fashion aspect, innocuous, or evil.

If anything, I don't think it sways people towards realizing it's wrong, it only makes the think PETA supporters are loonies.
Update 2: Lol. Thanks, Socrates. That was enlightening. Not one person here interprets your machismo as you compensating for something else. Nope. Not one person. *whistles all shifty-eyed*