Tricia asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

dog training techniques?

Looking for all dog training techniques. Puppy chewing, housebreaking, sit, stay, fetch. Also training dog not to run.

Thanks.

• milo85

The "Me or the Dog" show on Animal Planet is pretty good, too. There's no shortage of resources on dog training (library or bookstore). A training class is always the best thing because that helps to socialize the dog at the same time, plus the process of training will build your relationship in a fun way (fun to the dog, anyway). A big pet store with a lot of customers will be forming new classes often - they are not as good as a trainer with a lot of references, but better than nothing. Some shelters have training too. Make sure anything you do is based on positive reinforcement. Lots of praise and tasty treats, don't overdo the verbal corrections, and never ever hit the dog.

• Joan

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://bitly.im/aM38g

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

All dogs play rough. However if his play is borderline aggressive or if he is actually HURTING the other dogs due to his exuberance, then i would stop bringing him to the park immediately. Learn here https://tr.im/BIncI

It's your job as his owner to keep him under control, and if you can't so that then you shouldn't be bringing him someplace where he could get into trouble.

How often does he get walked? As a high energy breed he should be walked twice a day for as long as he can stand it. Jogging is even better. You can't count on the park to be your only way of exercising him because he obviously is not ready for it (based on the behavior you describe.)

So start walking him every morning and evening. Enroll in an obedience class with a qualified instructor (i would find a private training facility as opposed to one at Petsmart - as good as some of those trainers can be, they're mainly for easy-to-train dogs and don't specialize in herding breeds OR dogs that may have aggression issues) and he/she will show you how to teach your dog how to come.

Hi!

You need a full and proven dog training program.

"SitStayFetch" is one of the most popular dog training products on the market written by Daniel Stevens, an experienced dog trainer, for every dog owners who know that the experience of training their dog has or will continue to establish a better relationship with their four legs friend.

First when I read SitStayFetch ebook, I was surprised at lots of information has been covered. The 186 page book is broken down into different sections step-by-step, each one dealing with a different aspect of dog ownership. SitStayFetch starts from a basic that dog owner should know. For instance, things to consider before adopting a dog, choosing the right breed, dealing with breeders, the secrets of dog training; and then moves on at common dog problems including biting and nipping, aggression, jealousy, digging holes, disobedience, separation anxiety, fights with other dogs, destructive behavior and even understanding how your dog thinks.

The core of SitStayFetch system is the communication between dog and owner. Daniel Stevens understands that most of common dog problems are from the lack of communication. Your dog simply doesn't understand what you want. SitStayFetch demonstrates how dogs communicate, what are they thinking, how you can communicate with them effectively.

This simple technique helps in improving the relationship between you and your dog. And it also doesn't just focus on one or two aspects of dog ownership. SitStayFetch deals with all common problem behaviors, step-by-step approach tells you exactly what to do and when to do it.

SitStayFetch works because of the tips and advice come directly from the author's real-life experience. You also can sign up for free 6 days mini course which covers selected training methods and behavior fixing methods that are used in SitStayFetch ebook.

So if you want to have a good relationship with your dog and get rid of dog problems, I think SitStayFetch will definitely help you reach your goals.

Check my source, hope it helps. Good luck!

Tricia,

You know already that you can get some wonderful tips here on the internet and by cracking some books, but it sounds like you have a new puppy.

Sure house breaking and remedies or preventatives are all done by only you anyway but for learning obedience I would suggest that you enroll your new pup in a puppy class and then a regular obedience class.

Obedience classes have so much more to offer you when it comes to training your dog being a novice at doing it.

Socialization is huge to both humans and other dogs to be sure that your dog will listen to you in all circumstances.

You must have the distractions that a class offers to make the commands you teach your pup/dog solid.

And seeing that you have a new pup I will include this to you;

A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS.........

1.. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak..

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

~Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them.

Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without God's wonderful critters.

~Now please pass this on to other pet owners. We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness. It is here on earth and has four legs!

Love and enjoy your new pup,

Good Luck and God Bless

Check out these Animal Planet dog training videos:

http://www.petvideo.com/index.cgi?channel=1

Source(s): Animal Planet

Cesar Milan has a show called the Dog Whisperer and he is incredible. I've sent you the link

• Sheena

http://www.clickertraining.com/

http://dogforum.org/ (there is a thread on there that asks the same question you have)