Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

Would you let your spouse travel alone around the world for 3-6 months?

Would you want/let your wife/husband to travel around the world 3-6 months alone, how would you feel about it?

they are adamant to travel on their own, they can't find a friend who would join them, and prefers to go alone.

reason why i'm asking is because my girlfriend wants to travel to several places around the world on her own after marriage, its been her long time dream to. but i find it very hard to think of the idea that if one day we get married and few years after she wants to travel around the world alone for that long.

what do i do, i would be okay with a few weeks, but 3-6 months is too long. she can't do it right now (before marriage) because of work issues. etc etc ...

she went on a 2 week holiday with few of her friends before and i missed her terribly, and was concerned for her safety.. i dont know how i'm going to handle 3-6 months without her if we get married and also her going alone, as anything can happen to her, and no one to protect her.

am i looking into this too much? should i be worried?

Favorite Answer

i'd have no problem if my fiance wanted to travel for months.

why can't you go with her/ have you asked does she want your company?

I know how you must be feeling but you know - we dont own another person. Marrying them doesnt mean that it is the end of their dreams or ambitions - it means that they have pledged to spend their life with you - not that they are entering some sort of domestic cell.

Its hard to let the ones we love go and there are all the issues of whether you trust them or not and if she will be safe or not.

Is there a compromise perhaps?

Can you say 'right, I will meet you one weekend a month in a specified country'? Then you will know if she doesnt turn up that its time to worry, she will feel safe knowing that you will be there for a weekend of fun, and the time will pass much more quickly.

But I am afraid you have to let her go. The tightest bonds are the ones that hang the loosest.

Don't marry her...well, at least not untill she gets back...First of all, why does she want to go alone? Someone who is committed to someone should be just that COMITTED. She doesnt sound like she is...and honestly...that may have been a life long dream of hers but she is now in a relationship and some things have to change. She needs to figure out how she can incorporate YOU in those life long plans of hers...If she cant realize that, then shes obviously too immature to even be in a relationship, let alone get married...

• ..

This would be bothersome to me. She should take care of this little dream/goal prior to marriage. It's her 'preference' about going alone for 3-6 months. What does she think you are supposed to do in the meantime?

I prefer to go alone to different events without my partner, but that's a few hours at most.

This is bothering you and it needs to be addressed. Maybe you need to rethink marrying her -- right now. Good luck.

Dude....

Getting married means you are TOGETHER and building a life. You do not get married and take off for months at a time.

If it was for work maybe. But to just travel? No way. She does not have her priorities straight. So you need to be clear and tell her that you do not want to get married. That might readjust her thinking.

no. i also dreamt of travelling around the world. I was into it already. i've travel many parts of south east asia, the middle east the americas. I was lucky to have a job to do this. During these travels, i met my husband and the course of my dreams has changed because i'm not thinking of the fullfilment of "MY" dreams anymore but "OUR" dreams now.

She is a lucky girl to have you. hope that she will not be that selfish and realize the best thing that ever happens to her life -- having you!

If you trust her, then you should let her do what she needs to do. Let her have her space and separate life.

If you don't trust her then you need to ask yourself why.

It is a little strange that she is yearning for freedom and dreaming dreams without you involved at the same time as speaking of marriage.

Maybe you are suffocating her with your distrust and insecurity?

To be honest though, it sounds as though she isn't ready for marriage and commitment.

• Memory

No I wouldn't. To me it seems to long a time. If my husband told me he was going to travel alone, for that amount of time. I would see it as being separated.

Why wouldn't she want to share this lovely experience with you?

I would think she would miss you too ... obviously not.

You need to reconsider marring someone like that.

if she is wanting to do things on her own so desperately why is she getting married?

Plus I don't think its safe either. I would be worried sick!