Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Go to the ER? It's 3am for f**ks sake!?

My baby has been crying off and on the last 3 hours. She's dry and bathed. She doesn't want to drink her bottle but gets upset after a few swallows. Any advice on how to calm her so the whole family can settle down?

Favorite Answer

How old is your baby?

Can you call your pediatrician's office? (they'll have a consulting nurse on call who can speak to you and give you ideas)

Have you tried the hold where you lay her tummy-down along your forearm and swing her back and forth?

Has she pooped lately? If not, google baby constipation and see what pops up. Or edit, and someone will tell you how to handle it.

Does she have a fever?

Could she be teething?

Good luck, I know it's hard, and exhausting.

Does she feel feverish at all? She may just have a very bad tummy ache, and crying makes her swallow more air which gives her more of a tummy ache.

White noise can help soothe a baby, such as tuning a radio between stations and turning up the static noise. Some babies are soothed by vibrations. You can put her in her car seat and hold her in her seat on a running clothes dryer.

If I ever have "should I go to the ER?" questions, I call the ask-a-nurse hotline - most hospitals have them.

• ?

Does she have a temperature or is she cold?? This sounds strange but try putting the hoover on. See if that settles her. If not then i would suggest going to an emergency doctors and getting her checked out. Either the sound of the hoover or the hairdryer should do the trick

Hope this helps

<3

She might be feeling sick. Babies get very upset when they feel sick. You just think the worst. If she doesn't have a temperature that's good. Try and just hug her non stop and maybe rock her. She just needs comforting. It might not stop her from crying but it's what she will need and all you can really do. Put some nice slow calming music too. I hope she settles down for you.

Good Luck

She might have colic, as has been said. My poor daughter went through that for about a month. Take her temperature. One of the best things that worked for my daughter was just skin-to-skin contact, even when she didn't want to breastfeed.

If you are concerned, then at least phone the ER. When our daughter had a fever of over 102F, my husband phoned the local one and said that if it got to be at least 103, to come in. My daughter's fever did go down for a few hours, but then went back up to close to 103, so we went in, despite it being three o'clock in the morning. (She slept most of the next day, I dozed and my husband took a nap that afternoon after going to a work meeting.)

I hope you don't use that language around your children. That won't help any situation. (Also, it's not that hard to find a synonym that won't get censored.)

• Just dont get angry with her, just calm down and think rationally about what might be wrong.

How old is she??? Maybe shes teething? You can just her some pain relief if shes about 3 months or so she might be teething.

Maybe its colic??

It might be gas??? Try burping her by rubbing her back.

Maybe shes cold/hot? Check the temp in the room.

Maybe she just needs to be rocked, trying wrapping her tight and rocking her in your arms.

Maybe shes coming down with something, check her body temp.

Try different things, see what works, it might be something weird that might work.

Did you take her temp? She might have colic. Just try and relax cause she can sense your tension. Try laying her tummy on a heating pad or just laying her across your legs and pat her belly. I have to put my baby in a swing to get her to sleep sometimes. I also sing to her and rock her with her room dimmed. Oh and the pacifier is a charm if you have one.

she sounds like she might be colic.. or maybe she has acid reflux..

i think you should hold her. rock her in your arms.don't get irritated with her. they feel the adults stress and get even more agitated. you need to calm her down by doing what a mommy ought to do.

Give her paracetamol to help calm her down and it will also help if she has pain or a slight fever. Please only give paracetamol if the baby is age appropriate.