Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Are Brit stand-up comics; Ricky Gervais, Russell Brand & Steve Coogan(Tropic Thunder) popular in America?

• Leela
    Favorite Answer

I think Russell Brand might be slightly more well known than Ricky Gervais. Steve Coogan isn't really known at all here, I remember him in Hot Fuzz, I loved that movie!

Last summer I was watching a youtube clip of Gervais and Russell Brand, I'd never seen him and was intrigued. I fed my interested with more videos of him and fell in love quickly!! He's AMAZING. I can't get enough of his outrageous and lovely personality, and incredible use of language. I think he's going to be one of the biggest stars on the planet.

Thank you England!!! for all you give to the rest of the world! thank you thank you thank you!

Usually, once they've starred in a Hollywood film (as all have now done), they get more recognition and people start noticing their stand-up and other projects- or at least, I know that was how it was for me in the case of Ricky, Russell (caught a bit of him in "Bedtime Stories", was interested, and now am a huge fan), and Eddie Izzard (discovered him through "The Riches").

I don't think most Americans (excepting hardcore comedy buffs) are aware of comedians who do pretty much soley British work- I only learned about guys like David Walliams, Rob Bryce (I think that's his name), etc. after watching some of Russell's stuff.

Most definitely Steve Coogan,especially the characters Alan Partridge and Tony Ferrino,excellent.

They are very mildly popular. I personally love ricky gervais, and kindof like russel brand, mainly for his role in forgetting sarah marshall, I'm not familiar with steve coogan. Simon Pegg I'm beginning to hate, as run fatboy run and how to alienate people were horribly unfunny movies.

but ricky gervais, he is amazing in every way, but still not very popular in america.

• Well yes, being from America, I can tell you people love ricky gervais because he gave us the best thing since sliced bread: The office- america

I know i'm not answering your question, but if I can just add these guys are really popular in Australia, we may have a similar humor to the Brits, don't know, but shows like 'Man stroke Women' are huge down here.

Yeah they are heard of and their popularity is rising here in America and you forgot Eddie Izzard he is a right.

Yes, that's correct.