Faith
Faith asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

What kind of Government would order its officials to smoke locally made cigarettes or risk being fined?

With the amount of people suffering & dying of smoking-related diseases every year, i find this horrific.

BEIJING: Officials in a county in central China have been told to smoke nearly a quarter million packs of locally made cigarettes annually or risk being fined, state media reported Monday.

The Gong'an county government in Hubei province has ordered its staff to puff their way through 230,000 packs of Hubei-produced cigarette brands a year, the Global Times said.

Departments that fail to meet their targets will be fined, according to the report.

"The regulation will boost the local economy via the cigarette tax," said Chen Nianzu, a member of the Gong'an cigarette market supervision team, according to the paper.

The measure could also be a ploy to aid local cigarette brands such as Huanghelou, which are under severe pressure from competitors in neighbouring Hunan province, according to the paper.

China has 350 million smokers, of whom a million die of smoking-related diseases every year.

More than half of all male doctors in China smoke, but the government is now trying harder to get them to kick the habit in order to set an example for others, state media reported recently.

Best Answer

a repressive dictatorial one

• Tammie

Well I look at it as being a personal choice. The government continues to make tons of money off of the taxes imposed on cigarettes so I don't think they would ever make it illegal. As for the being against the law in some public places, that is for those that do not smoke, so they may still enjoy the atmosphere without being hindered by smoking. I don't think it will ever be illegal, again because it is an easy way for the government to make extra money.

• Wow. I should get a job there. I could puff my way through some of that for them.

It would be another sign of the Chinese government's utter disregard for human life. Quite sad really.

This may save the economy. Bankruptcy or poor health? The answer is to sacrifice the health in order to save the economy.

Have to aggree with Dreary O'leary.

Too many people on the planet already, so anything that reduces that number anywhere is OK with me.

Nothing against the Chinese. just good for the planet in general .

PS. less people that is.

• Bear

Who cares! There are too many people in China,so it's not like the whole population is going to disappear overnight!

Anything that keeps the population down is alright by me.

It's just a shame that our shower of a government tax it so much.

One that cared nothing for its people. They clearly only operate on a profit before all else basis.

• Ern T

One that for all it's strides in to the modern world remains frightenly primitive in it's attitudes.

The guy who ordered it is obviously a share holder in a tobacco company, typical example of Chinese corruption in affect.

• Kev

Anything for them to get people to spend more money on Chinese products.