Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelLatin AmericaPeru · 1 decade ago

Know anything about Machu Picchu?

I need information on any of the following topics about Machu Picchu:

-the ruins

-inca culture

-food

-clothing

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Doesnt have to be much, just a few sentences.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Incas started building it around AD 1430 but was abandoned as an official site for the Inca rulers a hundred years later, at the time of the Spanish conquest of the Inca Empire. Although known locally, it was said[who? to have been forgotten for centuries when the site was brought to worldwide attention in 1911 by Hiram Bingham, an American historian. Since then, Machu Picchu has become an important tourist attraction. It has recently come to light that the site may have been discovered and plundered several years previously, in 1867 by a German businessman, Augusto Berns. In fact, there is substantial evidence that a British missionary, Thomas Payne, and a German engineer, J. M. von Hassel, arrived earlier than Hiram, and maps found by historians show references to Machu Picchu as early as 1874.

See more in wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machu_Picchu

• 1 decade ago

The Machu Pichu Ruins:

The Citadel of Machu Picchu (meaning 'Old Peak' in the Quechua language), was rediscovered in 1911 by Yale archaeologist Hiram Bingham, and is one of the most beautiful ancient sites in the world.At approximately thousand feet above the Urubamba valley, the ruins have palaces, baths, temples, storage rooms and around 150 houses, all in a amazing state of preservation.Many mortar less building blocks weigh 50 tons or more and are so precisely cut and fitted together so perfectly hat the joints will not allow a thin knife blade between the blocks joints.

One of Machu Picchu's primary functions was an astronomical observatory. The Intihuatana stone (meaning 'Hitching Post of the Sun') has shown to be a precise to show the date of the two equinoxes and other significant celestial periods.

Inca Culture:

The Incas did not have any written language. Some suggest that they must have used some symbols and diagrams, and used a knotted rope "quipu" to keep count . The Incas had a class of verbal historians, it was their job to keep their stories and history alive by passing it on to others for the next generation. The Incas were a "caste" society with the Emperor at the top and farm laborers at the bottom.

Most Inca worked hard , the farmers grew crops, lamas were raised for transporting goods and meat and alpacas were raised for wool and weavers wove the wool into beautiful cloth and clothing. Other craftspeople made pottery, metal ornaments, tools, and weapons, jewelry and gold objects.

Inca Food:

There were three main staples in the Inca diet:sara or corn,

chuno or dehydrated potatoes and quinua or a type of seed,Potatoes, tomatoes, cotton, peanuts and coca were among the many crops grown by the Inca.Step-like terraces were constructed on the slopes of Machu Pichu. The Inca cut these ledges into the mountainside, where they could be used as fields for planted crops, terraces also stopped the rain from washing away the soil. Llama were used for meat and transportation.By chewing maize or corn and spitting it back into a big bowl.This fermented substance was a corn beer called Chicha which they drank on festive occasions.

Inca Clothing:

Inca clothing was mainly warm in the highlands and it was made from llama, alpaca and vicuña wool. Inca officials used to wear stylish tunics to show their status.

Inca men wore knee length tunics, grass shoes or leather sandals, headbands, headdresses, belts and bags.

Women wore ankle length skirts, garments, and grass shoes, and were in charge of making clothes for their children,men and themselves.

Wealthy Inca would wear a specially woven cloth of baby Alpaca, called CUMBI ,it had the same value as gold.

Given it's history it is hard to convey it's history and that of the Inca in a few sentences.

Did you say you were going to Machu Pichu or just needed information on Machu Pichu and it's history as well as it's inhabitants ?

Source(s): 15 years of Andean Study
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hi, I live in Peru now, for more than 18 months. I've been to Machu Picchu 2 times. Machu Picchu is one of the best spiritual places in the world for me. The calmness of the place is amazing! Some people have problems adjusting to the height.

I usually plan 5 days when i go there, 1 to go there, 1 to relax, 3 to walk the inca trail.

You can find more information here http://www.peru-informations.com/Peru-Machu-Picchu... & many more articles about Machu Picchu & Peru in general

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

• 1 decade ago

I am a citizen of the United States who has lived (40-years ago) in Peru.

About 5 years ago, I returned with my wife and another couple to see places where I had lived and traveled as a youth.

We made the trip to Machu Picchu, my first time.

It was extraordinary, even otherworldly.

We started in Cuzco and took the train to Machu Piccho. The train ride is awe-inspiring. You'll see the Andes up close and personal and have the opportunity to see the people of the mountains in their natural settling.

You will stay below the ruins in Aguas Calientes. The town is lively and you will see activity at almost every hour of the day and night as people start up the mountain and then descend. Buses carry tourists up to Machu Picchu, but watch the little boys who race the buses down from the mountain on foot.

The pictures you have seen of Machu Picchu cannot do it justice. It defies my ability to describe its beauty and the sense of peace that resides with me when I am there.

The trails range from easy to difficult, and depending upon age and physical condition, allow you to reach areas with spectacular views of the Andes and the ruins themselves. You will need to exercise caution because the government allows more access than in most natural parks in the world and a fall there can result in serious injury, if not death. However, with any amount of common sense, it is safe and enjoyable.

As to clothing, keep in mind that the winter season is coming to the Andes and it can be very cool there. Depending upon the time of year, rains can be a problem. We were there in June and saw some rain and cool weather, but it was glorious.

We ate well at the hotel in Aguas Calientes, and there are many of them with very adequate facilities and good food.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • knaus
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

by way of fact the text fabric refers to a speaker who's frightened of a tower on a sand fort being too tall already, you may use the two between the subsequent: ¡Esta demasiada alta ya! or ¡Ya esta demasiada alta! Why ESTA vs. ES= for the reason which you're concerning to the top diploma of the tower. Why DEMASIADA vs. MUY = for the reason which you're defining some difficulty which surpasses the limit in height. in this difficulty you utilize demasiada by way of undeniable fact which you're concerning to the "l. a. torre" this is a femenine noun.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.