What does it mean when my doctor said bring your "co-pay"?

My doctor told me to bring my health insurance and co-pay. I have my little insurance card, but what else do I need?

• A
    Favorite Answer

Most insurance require you to pay a co-pay up front, the day of the visit (certain percentage of the cost of the visit). This can rage from as low as 5 dollars to 40 dollars, depending on your type of coverage. Call your insurance company, or refer to their website to determine what type of coverage you have, and what your co-pay is.

Can I be blunt here? There should be a number on your health insurance card (or you can look it up) and they should answer all these kinds of questions for you in case you have follow-up questions, etc... then you can hold them accountable.

But, what it means to bring your co-pay is that each insurance policy has it's own unique terms. When you go for a service that your health insurance covers, they only cover a certain percentage of it... or they cover everything except for a certain amount of money. The money that you have to pay, in addition to what the health insurance covers, is known as the "co-pay."

In my case, I have to pay $20/visit whether I see my doctor, a chiropractor, a physical therapist, etc. That is my co-pay. Yours could be more; it could be less. They tell you to bring it but since insurance is paying most of the visit, they'll sometimes take you even if you don't bring your co-pay and just bill you later.

I have never been refused treatment for not having my co-pay. I would be you wouldn't be, either.

Best wishes, hope everything turns out ok! ;)

Co-pay Definition

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): doctor bring quot pay quot: https://biturl.im/HuF7o

The Co-Pay is how much your visit will cost to you. That is what you will pay the office for their service, and the insurance company takes care of the rest. My co-pay for a regular visit is like $25 and like $40 for the ER. It might say on your insurance card how much it is also.

Source(s): Worked for Humana
  • debijs

~~Your copay is the part of the bill your insurance requires you to pay at the time of the visit. The amount can vary according to policies. It should tell you on the front of your insurance card. It usually shows the copay for doctors, hospitals, urgent care, and prescriptions.

If you don't see it on yours, then call the number on the back of your insurance card and they will give you the amount you need to pay.You should also take a picture ID as most offices keep this is your chart also.~~

most insurances dont pay 100% for doctor visits and usually require the patient/customer to pay a 10 dollar-20 dollar payment to the office for your visit just bring some extra cash or a check

usually most health plans require the patient to pay a certain amount of money, like $10 or $20, per office visit. that's your co-pay.

Normally everyone has a copay 10 to 20 dollars.

It should say how much your co-pay is on your health card. Its usually between $20-$40