Anonymous

Do most white people have subconscious racism towards blacks?

I've heard a lot of people say this, and I think it may be true, even if we don't like to admit it. I'm going to be honest; I have some negative feelings towards many black people; it's not something I choose to have, and I'd like to get over it. I believe everyone is equal, including black people, but I just can't help those feelings.

Favorite Answer

Years of geeply ingrained beliefs, upbringing.....

The ideology of supremacy can be passed on subtly - without any obvious reference to the side demeaned. Which is why many people are racist without even knowing it.

Consider the following (particularly the last few points) Perhaps it will answer your questions:

Ten Things Everyone Should Know About Race :

1.Race is a modern idea. The English language didn’t even have the word ‘race’ until it turns up in 1508 in a poem by William Dunbar referring to a line of kings

2.Race has no genetic basis. Not one characteristic, trait or even one gene distinguishes all the members of one so-called race from all the members of another so-called race.

3.Human subspecies don’t exist. Unlike many animals, modern humans simply haven’t been around long enough or isolated enough to evolve into separate subspecies or races. Despite surface appearances, we are one of the most similar of all species.

4.Skin color really is only skin deep. Most traits are inherited independently from one another. The genes influencing skin color have nothing to do with the genes influencing hair form, eye shape, blood type, musical talent, athletic ability or forms of intelligence. Knowing someone’s skin color doesn’t necessarily tell you anything else about him or her.

5.Most variation is within, not between, "races." Of the small amount of total human variation, 85% exists within any local population, be they Italians, Kurds, Koreans or Cherokees. About 94% can be found within any continent. That means two random Koreans may be as genetically different as a Korean and an Italian.

6.Slavery predates race. Throughout much of human history, societies have enslaved others, often as a result of conquest or war, even debt, but not because of physical characteristics or a belief in natural inferiority.

7.Race and freedom evolved together. The U.S. was founded on the radical new principle that "All men are created equal." But their early economy was based largely on slavery. How could this anomaly be rationalized? The new idea of race helped explain why some people could be denied the rights and freedoms that others took for granted.

8.Race justified social inequalities as natural. As the race idea evolved, white superiority became "common sense" in America. It justified not only slavery but also the extermination of Indians, exclusion of Asian immigrants, and the taking of Mexican lands by a nation that professed a belief in democracy. Racial practices were institutionalized within American government, laws, and society.

9.Race isn’t biological, but racism is still real. Race is a powerful social idea that gives people different access to opportunities and resources. Our government and social institutions have created advantages that disproportionately channel wealth, power, and resources to white people. This affects everyone, whether we are aware of it or not.

10.Colorblindness will not end racism. Pretending race doesn’t exist is not the same as creating equality. Race is more than stereotypes and individual prejudice. To combat racism, we need to identify and remedy social policies and institutional practices that advantage some groups at the expense of others.

Source(s): race- the power of an illusion

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I've heard a lot of people say this, and I think it may be true, even if we don't like to admit it. I'm going to be honest; I have some negative feelings towards many black people; it's not something I choose to have, and I'd like to get over it. I believe everyone is equal,...

Source(s): white people subconscious racism blacks: https://bitly.im/B01n2

First off, alot of White people have very conscious racism. As far as subconscious racism, it's worse than you know. 400 years of imperialism, junk science, media, and greed have led to a VERY entrenched notion that White is best. This is indeed a global phenomenom. Look up "colorism" to find out more. So, to answer your question, not only do White people have subconscious racism towards Blacks, Blacks have subconscious racism towards Blacks. It's kinda like young siblings of abusive parents. They are frustrated, have low self-esteem, etc... They can't take it out on the dominant oppressor (parent), so they take it out on each other. I'm Chicano myself. I have wealthy relatives in Mexico who are very fair-skinned (of course) and they totally treat the darker-skinned less wealthy Mexicans like crap. They are real *******.

When you are born you don´t hate anyone because of another color, it´s your enviroment and the way you were brought up, might be who you hang around with later, areas you moved to later, your neighborhood - once you know why you feel the way you do, you should be able to see it all different.

I am white and didn´t grow up with negative feelings towards black people, I met the first black person in my life when I was a teenager and was old enough to make up my own mind then.

They must; hence the immediate reaction to my talking at all being "where you from, where you from, where you from" indicating that they assumed by looking at me that I must be from Africa, the Caribbean, the South, or some ghetto bad area of some large US city and not CANADA. That if I manage to get an in-person job interview after they ve seen my resume, they act like they think I lied about everything about who and what I am when they see me, change their tone entirely and do the "you wouldn t fit in here..." sometimes even pretending they HAVEN T read my resume. (As I recall, back in the 90s when I used to be interviewed by Latinos I would tend to get the JOB and not get this hassle and backtalk at the interview as if they were trying to "catch me in a lie," so to speak). People once they see me are surprised that I have any college degrees at all let alone two in STEM from top universities and one in Law, also a Math teaching license from a New England state. Yes, it s wicked racist to assume someone must be "stupid" because you take from the colour of her skin that she s "black." And even to question her national origin?! And even before they ask me my NAME?! Yeah, that s RACISM and I ve started calling people out on it when it happens...so chalk me up as a "*****" but I m sick of it everywhere I go lately. Not so much back in the 70s and in the 80s people pretty much kept that bullshit under their hats but now, WOW.

Stereotypes are hard to avoid and to escape their influence - harder.

But I have an obligation to make a conscious effort to prevent the subconscious from exerting itself, don't I..?

And, I am glad to say, most times, I manage to look at a person as an individual. But have to admit....when they start living up to their generalized reputations.........fleetingly, I fumble....

Source(s): Not knowing my ethnicity

Everyone has subconscious racism towards everyone...it's the human condition. Everyone is at least a little prejudice, whether they admit it or not.

Sweetie, your race is the most deformed and militaristic race in this WORLD.

After all the slavery in the 19th Century, OBVIOUSLY THERE'D BE INHERITED NEGATIVE FEELINGS.

And for the record, I am NOT white, or black(BROWN). I am European Indian. YES, INDIAN. AND I LOVE IT. AND EVERYONE ELSE IN MY COUNTRY. ALL INDIANS ARE MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS, DAMNIT!!! AND I LOVE ANYONE WHO IS KIND AND LOVES THE ENVIRONMENT.

LEARN TO LOVE YOUR COUNTRY. NOT YOUR RACE. IF YOU WANT TO THINK ABOUT YOUR RACE, YOU'LL SEE THAT ALMOST EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG IN OUR WORLD IS BECAUSE OF YOU BASTARDS. SO, LIVE WITH IT, ***.

Source(s): YOU ARE ON CRACK.

Yeah I think that everyone does anyone who doesn't is lying. Heck sometimes I have racist thoughts about white people.But I treat everyone the same and that I think is the only thing that matters. As long as you don't think they are right then I think you're fine.

Source(s): My mind

No , not most whites feel that way

go and see a doctor and get some help.

@Black

you also need an doctor .

maybe you should join jack , because you might get an discount .

Jack and Black, both were wack.

They went to the doctor and they never came back ....

buhye buhye