Calcium Nitride Chemical formula and compound?

What type of compound is calcium nitride and what is its chemical formula?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Calcium nitride is an ionic compound because it is formed between a metal and a non metal. Calcium is the metal and nitrogen is a non-metal. The ending changes to ide.

It's chemical formula isCa3N2.

Source(s): chemistry class
  • 3 years ago

Calcium Nitride Chemical Formula

• arieux
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Calcium Nitride Formula

• Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/1LurI

BaCl2 is barium chloride. you're right when you said that this was ionic. The only time you can use the prefixes is when the compound is covalent. Ba3P2 is barium phosphide. it really is ionic. NaO2 is sodium superoxide. the superoxide ion exists as O2-. this is an ionic compound. P8I3 is octaphosphorus triiodide. the name is such because there are 8 phosphorus atoms. you use the prefix octa- if there are 8 atoms. there are 3 iodine atoms, so use the prefix tri-. the formula is covalent. NH3 is ammonia. you got the last number right. for the next set.... the formula for sodium oxide is wrong. it should be Na2O. Recall that sodium has a +1 charge and oxide has a -2 charge. this is an ionic compound. an ionic compound has a metal and nonmetal in it. the second and third numbers are correct too. but for calcium nitride, the correct formula is Ca3N2. Recall that Ca has a +2 charge and N a -3 charge. so when you interchange the charges of Ca2+ and N3-, with the charges becoming the subscripts of the atoms, you have the formula Ca3N2. The correct formula of potassium carbide is K2C2. The carbide ion is C2[2-]. :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Calcium Nitride Chemical formula and compound?

What type of compound is calcium nitride and what is its chemical formula?

Source(s): calcium nitride chemical formula compound: https://bitly.im/H3TVv
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Calcium nitride is an ionic compound, due to being formed from a group 2 metal and a non-metal, and has the formula Ca3N2. It is also known as tricalcium dinitride.

• Laura
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

NaF = I think it is Sodium Floride and it is an Ionic Compound yes C3H8 = propane and is Covalent yes BaCl2 = Barium diChloride and is Ionic barium chloride (Only use Greek prefixes with compounds of two nonmetals) Ba3P2 = Barium diphosphide and is Ionic barium phosphide (See above), and it's more covalent than ionic NaO2 = Sodium Oxide and is covalent NaO2 is sodium superoxide, rare. ionic P8I3 = Phosphorous Iodide and is Covalent Never heard of ti. I think you have a typo. There is PI3, phosphorous triiodide, which is covalent. NH3 = Nitrogen Hydride and is Covalent NH3 is ammonia, and its covalent Na2S = Sodium Sulfide and is ionic yes, but its only about 50/50 ionic/covalent Now for this next set he gave us the Name of the compound and I have to figure out the chemical formula and the type of compound. Sodium Oxide = Na02 = Covalent No Na2O, more ionic Trisulfur Dioxide = S302 = Covalent Yes, but not a common compound Pentane = C5H12 = Covalent yes Calcium Nitride = CaN2 = Ionic Ca3N2 is calcium nitride Potassium Carbide = KC = Ionic K2C2 is potassium carbide. carbide ion is C2^2-

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.