What does the CONFEDERATE FLAG represent?

I've heard it's suppose to be offensive to black people, but then I've heard other people say not necessarily.

Favorite Answer

No, it has become offensive because of people's lack of education. The flag that promoted slavery was a yellow flag with a rattlesnake on it. The Confederate flag was the flag promoting separating from the Union.

The Civil War was not started over slavery but over unfair taxes given to the southerners.

As for Union soldiers, majority of them did not give a darn about Black people in fact the biggest slave owning state was Rhode Island- yes many northerners illegally had slaves. Also, keep in mind northerners would send runaway Black slaves back to the South.

The wealthy did not fight in this war, and only the wealthy had slaves.

Source(s): for the people who thumbed me down, you have been brainwashed by the northern education system and honey I'm a teacher in the north
  • neet

The Confederate flag represents the Southern states' rights...the south wasn't nearly as industrialized so the they depended heavily on agriculture, and they needed slaves for that. Northerners weren't particularly fond of blacks either but bc they didn't need slaves, they recognized the horrors of slavery more and most northerners were against it.

No, the Civil War wasn't fought over slavery BUT that was one of the many issues that divided northerners from southerners and southerners DID want to keep their slaves. The slavery issue is the issue that stands out most to us today and that is why the Confederate flag is offensive.

People who sport their confederate flag are basically morning the loss of a society where black people were slaves. I find it especially offensive that many white people claim that blacks keep talking about slavery but many southern states still have civil war re-enactments and fly confederate flags over their statehouses. They're the ones holding on to the past. Why can't they get over the civil war? I mean, they lost, they should let it go.

It's about heritage. I'm disappointed (but not surprised) at people who just shout out "OH IT'S ABOUT SLAVERY AND RACISM AND KILLING BABY KITTENS".

I'm a proud southern man, I have never owned a slave, I have friends that are black, I've even had bosses that were black. What the flag means to me, and many other southerners is that the south had enough guts to tell the politicians in Washington that they did not agree with polices being forced upon them, and consequently the southern states wanted to form their own country. Of course it didn't work out in the end. But just the idea of standing up to a government that doesn't have your best interests in mind is a very popular in the south, even to this day. It's also the reason the American Revolution happened in the first place.

Yes, slavery happened in the south. However if you think that in the same time period that racism wasn't an issue in the North, then you are grossly misinformed. While blacks were technically free, they were indeed 2nd class citizens and did not have the same rights as whites.

Source(s): Southern Gentleman

It is the Flag of the losing side of the US Civil War. The commonly recognized flag of the Confederacy is actually the battle flag and not the Confederate National Flag

Racist.....it comes down to perception. Perception is the truth to the individual.

Source(s): Bear

it is offensivem very offensive i mean it was supposed to just represent the south itself, but it was used during civil war and slavery was apart of that way, so yes it represents the old south and its racism, so yes it is racist.

to the person below me, we know that the civil war was not a concept that was enforced by slavery, it was a matter of problems lol, and it was more the fact of central power over states power, not really taxes....but anywho, its like saying well its okay to wear a nazi swastika, because the swastika represented a various amount of things, but ummm you dont see people pulling that up and wearing it do you? and for your information i lve in new york and our school enforces that no one wear confederate flags in school... because its an association with the war, its like anything as long as it associates with the war, which although it was not all about slavery, it had alot to do with slavery, so confederate flag is associated with slavery, therefore offensive.

Its like word association games what the fiesth thing that comes to mind when u think of confedaracy- either civil war or slavery or south, all factors of a war that is offensive.

Unfortunately most are terribly uneducated. And do to the take over of the illuminati/foreign banksters, the UN-educated out number the educated and those who seek knowledge. The worse park is, do to a "democratic" system (2 wolves and a sheep fighting over whats for dinner) those who seek knowledge are losing to those who occupy every spare minute of their time with entertaining themselves instead of expanding the gifts God gave them! America IS a "Constitutional Republic" and ALL of us have been living in a twisted reality of lies and manipulation for a small group to take over the world. THis group IS in charge of the worlds currency! Money means nothing to them, taking over the minds of you and I and pitting us against one another for thier ultimate takeover IS the plan. And from the look of it, they are winning.. Check out infowars.com.. and do some research.. HISTORY is being written now. are you on the side of good or evil? the hard part is discerning which side your actually on as the enemies are the best at what they do, and this is deception!.

It depends on the individual

Some blacks HATE the confederate flag while I can care less about it

Please don't lump us all into one category

it was the flag of the south during the civil war. The south was against the abolishmentt of slavery so yes it is offensive.

It is very offensive to black people.

racism in the South and its offensive