? asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 decade ago

Is it ok to build a retaining wall and then back fill it after?

We are adding a second, ground floor level to our home. The soil being excavated from under the house needs to go somewhere, so we thought to build a wooden retaining wall and then when the machines come in to liftthe house and excavate, they could backfill the space as they go. The area to be filled is quite large - 6' vertical x 40' plus long x 20' wide...or thereabouts.

Will this work? And if so, how will we back fill the gravel/drainage/weeping pipes if they are working?

All ideas and alternate thoughts welcomed!

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Update:

Part 2:

Yes, a patio is what we're looking for - I suppose terraced makes the most sense for the size of the space.

Thank you for all the answers I received and we'll be sure to encorporate or accommodate all the advice given (drainage, deadmen, and building codes).

Update 2:

Oh, and I think the wall isn't going to be as high as we initially thought.

Planning to put stairs in on one side though...that could be tricky, couldn't it!?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • fenx
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This could be tricky. I would build the wall as you go. Remember to place a perforated drainage pipe behind the wall, at the bottom, and some 2b stone to accommodate water removal away from the wall. Pitch the wall back a little every course, and if you are using 4 by 4's or 6 by 6's, remember to place a 4 by 4 every so often from the wall (attached to the wall) back into the soil. These beams will help the wall from moving forward due to the weight and pressure of the soil.

You can find good examples on the internet.

Good Luck!

• Irv S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You're not real clear about the layout of what you plan to do.

Just be aware that the 'retaining wall' has to hold back a lot of

lateral force.

It's best to lay things out so that a failure won't be too much

of a disaster.

If you're on a slope you might consider using what you remove

to build a terrace patio.

The backfill around your new foundation/basement wall is best done with

gravel, or something else very permeable to keep the basement dry.

• 1 decade ago

have the soil trucked away, what your planning is going to cost at leats 20 times more then disposing of the dirt. A 6ft high retaining wall that meets code is going to cost you big bucks. Wood will not meet code you will need reinforced concrete with proper footing and drainage.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Want you like to get instant access to over 16,000 woodworking plans?

Check it out https://tr.im/f30ac

Along with stone, mud and animal parts, wood was one of the first materials worked by early humans. Microwear analysis of the Mousterian stone tools used by the Neanderthals show that many were used to work wood. The development of civilization was closely tied to the development of increasingly greater degrees of skill in working these materials.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.