Wiccans/Pagans/etc: Do you ever meet people who are excited to tell you about your faith, but get things wrong?

I used to think of it as the zeal of the person who's recently found their path, or feels like they have to explain it so you don't think their a devil worshiper or something.

But what do you do when they say things that are just wrong?

My cousin-in-law (cousin by marriage? What's the proper term?) Has a class on Wicca and Magic and associated topics. He asked me o come the three hours up to talk about Rroma magic and remedies, well, as much as was proper.

One of his students was really enthusiastic, and must have thoought I was a new student, and started telling me all about wicca, which was fine, as I don't know that much about it, but then she started saying stuff about the Celts that was really inaccurate, and I know Will wouldn't teach her, and I didn't know how to go about correcting her historical inaccuracies, or even if I should.

I mean, the idea that the Celts believed in a goddess that created the universe is really far out there, considering they believed in something analogous to the big bang, historically, and so is the secret witch-cult idea.

So how do you handle a situation where someone is trying to tell you about your faith, but gets things wrong?

Update:

I do know Stonehenge, been there, multiple times. It predates the Celts, and there is very little evidence that the Celts used it as a place of worship, from a purely archeological point of view.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

9 times out of 10 I would have corrected her semi-bluntly and pointed her at some more accurate reading. However, if I was a guest speaker on a different subject I wouldn't point-blank tell her she was wrong. Instead I would ask her questions about Celtic lore. I also may bring it up to her teacher so he could potentially do a class on the History of Wicca. If one student has a misconception or question then it's a safe bet that there are others who are thinking the same thing.

• 1 decade ago

Remember that Wicca is the Craft of the Wise. We do not have to be the Craft of the Politically correct, or, when challenged incorrectly, the nice.

Pagan religions existed in all places all over the world. No one culture "invented" it or started it. It started as a religion of a shamanic nature and carried forth from there.

With so many branches of Neo-Wicca, many of them do not know the difference between Wicca, Neo-Wicca, Shamanism, druidism and all of the other sects and groups within The blanket of Paganism.

Explain that to him. Explain that you have been a practitioner of the religion for however many years and ask them how long they have been a Pagan priest/priestess or HP/HPS and how long they have been in that position?

As an initiated Gardnerian Witch, I am careful to explain that there are differences between various sects of Paganism, Wicca and Neo-Wicca, the latter of which is more often practiced here in the US.

I am also careful to make sure that people know that while I have a great deal of information, I do not know what my HPS and HP knows just yet and can find out anything that is not oathbound, that they wish to ask and get back to them if I do not personally know at that time.

You do not need to take any flack from some kid that got all of his information on Wicca from a bunch of books that are as likely to be sensation and misinformation as fact. You and I both know that there are a lot of good authors, but there are a lot of fakes and oathbreakers that have written books on the subject as well.

Source(s): Gardnerian, 1st degree.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well actually, the person who was speaking about the Celts had a point. Paganism originated in Celtic Britain (Wales, Cornwall and Scotland) as well as parts of Northern Europe such as Scandinavia. Have you heard of Stonehenge in Salisbury which was a Pagan place of worship before the romans invaded?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but as there are so many variants of the religion, you're bound to find people who think that the origins of the religion are different.

If you feel that you need to correct them, just tell them what you know and maybe you can see where your beliefs marry up.

Blessed Be

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

All the time. I share with them the truth. I also explain that most Jewish and Christian holidays were originally pagan holidays. I elaborate the history of Christmas, Easter, and Halloween and describe their pagan origins. I also elucidate that any religion can be stigmatized by others. I pinpoint the way the media has demonized Islam after 9/11 and how they affiliate Catholicism with pedophilia. I exude how ignorant people can be when their own sources are the media and hearsay.

Source(s): Can you answer mine please? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtgvT...
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Uh... most of the pagans and Wiccans--and nearly everyone else who I know short of the senior Hindu monastics who I am acquainted with --know very little about their belief systems, and what they do know is often full of bias and technical and historical inaccuracies. Furthermore, a huge amount of literature out there for the Wiccan and pagan community is full of inaccuracies and fabrication. I sometimes casually correct people, but I usually just smile politely and nod my head. As you know, I sometimes write out my thoughts here on R&S but people here are just looking for others to agree with them. I now have the opportunity to present lectures to the pagan community in my neck of the woods. People only listen to you when you are wearing the big, funny hat.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In the wiccan/pagan community there are so many variations on the craft - I personally feel there is no specific way.

However, if something like that happened, I would gently attempt to correct them with respect as to how I view my particular path.

Personally, I am so used to negative feedback, it would be nice to meet a "newbie" who was open minded...but maybe just a bit misinformed.

Patience is the key, and also backing it up with good information and possibly suggesting books to help them better understand.

• Denise
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

yes, my friend, God bless you, i will pray for you. i came to Jesus at age 14 after reading the Bible. i had always gone to church, but never knew Him. i did not know anything about salvation. the type of worship i was in was rote phrases over and over, ritualistic worship. i never met the Holy Spirit in that church i grew up in. never met Him until i read the Bible. fastforward to when i was 29 and married; the Lord led my husband and i to a beautiful place of love called the Church of the Nazarene. i will be 50 years old this month and i still go there. renew your mind daily with the Scriptures and with prayer, follow the lead of the Holy Spirit. find a good Bible-based church with other believers so you will have brothers and sisters in Christ. these are all ways of helping us keep on track, keeping oneself free from the ways of the world. i'm very happy for you and your newfound faith. again, may God bless you abundantly in this life and thereafter.

• 1 decade ago

I would ask them what they knew about ... for example, in this case ... Celtic mythology. Take the Mabinogion for instance. I would ask them if they had read it and what they thought about the representation of Goddess figures and other archetypes in there. I personally consider that Cerridwen's cauldron is a metaphor for the creation of the universe. But I wouldn't try to put them straight, just challenge them to do some research. No one likes to be lectured: they have to learn for themselves and I wouldn't want to kill their enthusiasm.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If a person wants to learn, then I give them some

reading material to begin with.... but if someone

just wants to spout off a bunch of inaccurate info,

I pretty much ignore them... there just isn't enough

time to explain everything to them.

Jean

• 1 decade ago

Having different variations of practices is to be expected, however, historical inaccuracies should always be corrected (I do that all the time :P)

Source(s): Pagan-Neo Shaman-Traditional Witch
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.