can you water sod too much?

can you water sod to much and if so how can you tell. I water it daily and we have gotten some rain here in southeastern wis. Im starting to get a yellow tint in some areas. and they say that is from not enough water. so I have been watering it a little more. It doesnt seem to help

Favorite Answer

Sod should not need more then one inch of water a week. If you water overhead put a rain gauge under the sprinkled area to keep up with it. A yellow tint to the grass indicates too much water or it's a low spot where water is pooling. The soil should be dry between waterings. A long slow soak is better then a quick saturation. Yes, you can water sod too much.

absolutely you can water it too much. If your sod is turning yellow that could be an indication of too much water. Another thing it could mean in a cooler climate is that you may have a fungus starting. Fungus thrives in moist cool climates. I would suggest backing off of watering it and seeing what happens. It will not die right away if it gets a little dry. If it starts to wilt and look dry, by all means water it!