what does ABS flashing light mean at the dashboard of my 1996 toyota camry mean?

I stopped and my car won't start.

Favorite Answer

Your ABS (antilock brakes) has taken a dive. Due to the complexity of an ABS system, it most likely will require professional diagnosis. However, ABS is not needed for the vehicle to function, just an alert and capable driver.

Now is a good time to learn how to brake properly, better known as threshold braking. In short, Threshold Braking is when you hit the brakes just hard enough to skid a tiny but, then back off a hair to stop skidding. This will give you an idea of how hard you can brake without locking up the tires. Now that you know how hard you can hit the brakes, you won't skid and that is Threshold Braking. It's generally easier to learn in snow because you can feel the car skid at lower speeds. Rain works too, but make sure to learn in a parking lot first.

My 1987 Mazda RX-7 originally had ABS and I disabled the system intentionally to make better use of its exceptional handling. On my car, all it took was pulling the fuse Also, a non-sheepy driver can brake better than ABS can. Just practice a bit and you'll be fine without the automotive band-aid called ABS.

Source(s): Being able to brake correctly makes a better driver

The flashing light means there is a problem with your anti-lock braking system that needs to be fixed by a technician. Until it is, you will NOT have anti-lock brakes, which could (in extreme weather circumstances) lead to an accident (hydroplaning on water soaked roads, or sliding on ice).

As for the car not starting again, I seem to recall it was a safety issue that made Toyota set the car up that if the ABS failed, you wouldn't be able to drive the car. I could definitely be wrong on that, though.

Either way, get it to a dealer and get the brakes and ABS system looked at.

I do not see why the flashing ABS should mean your car won't start.

ABS means "assisted braking system", which means the car helps in the braking process. You cannot just jam on the brakes with ABS. The car actually will spread out the braking to help slow down better.

So when the flashing light comes on, it means something is wrong with the ABS system. Doesn't mean the brakes won't work, but something is very wrong, and NEEDS DESPERATELY to be checked out.

But there should be no way that the car won't start because of the flashing ABS warning light.

• Mary

Anitlock Brake System

Anti-lock Braking System, I believe.

Source(s): I think.