WHAtS tHiS OHiO NEW PRiSON lAW??????

okay, so i know a few people in prison and every single person has asked me to find out about this new law, it's a rumor going around i'm guessing.

well, word on the street is a year in prison is only 8 months and 14 days. is this true? i live in ohio and they're all incarcerated in ohio. maybe it hasn't been set yet, or something? i've just been hearing about it for a long time! let me know please, and thank you!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If it helps at all, I work in the Ohio system. Roderunner above me has cited a statute code but did not read it through completely. His answer is incorrect.

In 1996, the Ohio Senate passed Bill 2, called "Truth in Sentencing". All good time credits have been eliminated within the Ohio system. Terms are now definite ( meaning you are not sentenced 5 -7 years. It will show a definite time frame). If a specification has been added to the sentence, such as a gun spec, the spec will be served first then the actual sentence will start. All sentences are day for day.

The statute code that Roderunner linked to clearly states that the "good time" provision does not apply to anyone sentenced after 1996. This is the old good time law that senate bill 2 did away with.

What you might have been hearing about is the current conditions that exist within the Ohio system. The 32 prisons in Ohio were designed and built to house 36,000. We currently have a little over 50,000 with an anticipated intake growth to over 60,000 by 2012. As a direct result, the brain trusts have been trying to come up alternative answers to severe overcrowding without building more prisons and incurring more costs to the American taxpayer.

On the table ( and this is being considered at this time. Nothng is set in concrete just yet), is an inmate EARNING up to a 25% reduction of sentencing by actually working inside the wire. Assigned specific 8 hour a day jobs that will have performance evaluations and they can be fired if they do not work properly. Raising the felony limit from the current $500 to $750, reducing felony convictions and keeping them as misdemeanors. Alternative sentences such as half way houses, house arrest, intensive community service, etc. The most current consideration is elimination of the current felony 5 level ( used primarily for theft and drug abuse charges) and keeping them as misdemeanors.

Naturally, a lot of wishful thinking is running rampant through the blocks on this. In a lot of minds, these are all currently put on the books and everyone is believing releases are going to be made tomorrow. Unfortunately, nothing has been decided upon as yet. When decisions are reached, it has to be approved through legislation.Realistically, we are looking at the beginning of 2010 before any actual results will be seen.

The answer to your specific question is a year is a full year within Ohio at the current time.

I hope this helps and you can find it useful

Source(s): 20 years as a Corrections Officer in a max prison
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Criminal Record Search Database - http://CriminalRecords.raiwi.com/?dDqu
  • 1 decade ago

I also live in ohio and i haven't heard anything about that either. Why would they call it a year if it was 8 months 14 days??

• 4 years ago

Maybe you could write a letter to someone of a higher position within the child support agency, explaining your situation and that it's actually becoming difficult for you to constantly re-live and re-tell your story. Perhaps they can put a note in your file advising staff that they don't require these papers from you as you've already completed them. Just give them a call and ask to speak to someone of a more senior level.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I live in Ohio and I have never heard anything like that in the newspaper or on the news broadcasts.Could be it's just wishful thinking on their part.

• 1 decade ago

as of right now there is no time off for good behavior. as the prison system reaches well beyond its capacity they[doc] will have to build more prisons or start releasing nonviolent offenders. i believe they will start giving good time. we have to wait for our lawmakers to decide.

• blank
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I think it is only a rumor.

Source(s): blank
  • 1 decade ago

Why don't you go there and find out yourself.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.