promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

O/D OFF light flashing on 2002 Ford Explorer - transmission replaced one week ago!?

The "O/D OFF" light is flashing on my 2002 FORD EXPLORER SPORT. The vehicle shifts irregularly when this indicator lights up.

The transmission was replaced by the dealership just ONE WEEK AGO! It was replaced because the Explorer had begun making loud sounds when shifting and metal shavings were found when the transmission was looked at.

So what might be the cause of the "O/D OFF" light, now that I have a brand new transmission???

5 Answers

Relevance
  • andy
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There could be several reasons for this problem the main one that I would question is the trans control module. This module actually tells the trans to shift and if it isn't working correctly can make the trans shift hard or not shift at all.. I worked in a Ford dealership and the techs where pushed to make at least $300 per car regardless what the vehicle came in for, even a simply oil change was a chance for the tech to find other things wrong to bring up the bill.

In your case take the vehicle back to the dealership and tell them to fix the problem. chances are they will tell you that the bad tranny cause other problems that didn't show up until later. Don't believe them and report them to Ford motor company complaint department.

If they try to charge you more for repairs.

Another thing you can do is have them pull up your vehicle by the VIN number ad search for recalls and ask for a print out ,,, The Explorer has had numerous recalls and a few dealers have charge the customer and then turned in the repair to Ford Motor for the warranty repair which means they get paid by Ford also The customer DOES NOT pay for recall repairs. hope this helps you some Good Luck

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

O/D OFF light flashing on 2002 Ford Explorer - transmission replaced one week ago!?

The "O/D OFF" light is flashing on my 2002 FORD EXPLORER SPORT. The vehicle shifts irregularly when this indicator lights up.

The transmission was replaced by the dealership just ONE WEEK AGO! It was replaced because the Explorer had begun making loud sounds when shifting and metal...

Source(s): light flashing 2002 ford explorer transmission replaced week ago: https://biturl.im/7RL6E
  • Janet
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The flashing light means there is a system problem with the automatic transmission. It's in fail safe mode and the transmission is locked in 3rd gear whenever in a forward gear. This is also called limp mode, so limp the POS back to the dealer and have them scan it for the transmission codes that the flashing light indicates are stored in the PCM. You may have just bought a new transmission when all that was wrong was a wiring problem!!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It means they f***ed up something. Take it back to the dealer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.