What caliber rifle should i buy for long range shooting?

I am wanting to purchase a rifle for hunting in west texas. I would like to purchase a rifle caliber that will be accurate at long range. I'm thinking 500 yrds will push my skill level. I've narrowed my options to three calibers that interest me. (270) or (7mm Rem Mag) or (300 Rem ultra Mag)? I need a little input and advise on making a good choice for my purchase. Which one of these calibers perform the best?

Best Answer

500 yards is a long shot, i wouldn't be shooting that far unless it was at groundhogs or targets. I hunt with a 270. win and i have made some long shots on deer although i was completely comfortable taking them. I got a mule deer at just over 400 yards shooting 130 grain ballistic tip, and i got a whitetail at 267 yards. Personally the 300 rem ultra mag is a flat shooting rifle but has alot of recoil and i dont htink i could shoot 500 yards without flinching. The 7 mm rem mag is also flat shooting and will make these 500 yard shots but so will the 270. win. Personally i would choice the 270. win but its is what you want and what you are comfortable shoooting

I would go with the 7mm mag. The .308 has a rainbow trajectory, although is very accurate.

The 7mm mag has less recoil than the 300 Rem ultra mag, but still delivers impressive energy and is a flat shooter. The 7mm mag would work well for deer at long distance.

As for long distance shooting of big game it’s a risky deal. The animal could move as the bullet is on the way and you could cripple it. I have seen this too many times. However I have also seen one shot kills on deer and antelope over 600 yards. The animal must be still, the wind light or none, no rain and you have to be a crack shot. Some kind of rest is needed for a steady shot and boat tail bullets are a must. I strongly suggest getting closer than 500 yards, 400 yards would be a hell of a lot better. And forget taking a head shot. I was hunting in an area that all the locals bragged about taking 400 to 500 yards head shots. My hunting companions and I saw 3 deer in a few days that had part of their jaw blow off wandering around sick and starving, proof of those braggarts stupidity!

I would avoid all three of those calibers you mentioned... yes they are fine rifle calibers and all offer decent long range results but they aren't commonly used as a target caliber....

The .308 Winchester is commonly used in competition rifle shoots, military and police use as well as hunting applications......

http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

The .308 cartridge is usually available in bulk lots just for target shooters... The .270, .300 Rem Ultra Mag and the 7MM Remington Ultra Mag are not.... Over a short period of time it would be prohibitively expensive to use those cartridges due to costs..... The .308 can be had as low as .50 cents each...

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/3...

I should point out there have been some ammunition shortages in the USA due to politics and other reasons... On the above link you will not a lot of stuff is out of stock but trust me on this... Look around some more and you will find the .308 is the best choice.... When available it is cheaper and has the long range 500 yard plus capabilities your after....

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-for-rifles/3...

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0065919216960a.shtml

http://www.cabelas.com/spod-1/0065918.shtml

Anyways --- Why I suggest the .308 is because it takes a bit of work and dedication to make 500 yard shots... This means plenty of practice time... Thats where the .308 shines... No sense paying $30, $40 and even $70 a box for the .300 Remington Ultra Mag.... Of course once you have got your skills where you want them - Then buy the more expensive .308 Winchester hunting ammo and use that on your hunt....

• Sandra

Since you aren't going to hunt with it, how about .223 Remington? Ammo is cheap and recoil is light. I think you are talking about shooting at 200-300 yards or so, and .223 is more than up to this. If you can't find a good used rifle for your price you may want to have a look at the Stevens 200. It will be priced in the neighborhood of what you've budgeted.

Neither one of those is needed or necessary.* The Best Choice is the 308 or the 30-06 caliber.*

Source(s): * Run like a Deer.*...................Fly like an Eagle.*~~

I would go with the 270. I have consistent 2.5" groups at 500 yards with my Remington 700 shooting 130 Gr. Hornady SST Loads.

• idak13

I have a 3030, 303, 30-06 and I prefer the 3030. However the choices you gave I would have to say the 270 I've heard more about it than the other two, and also have been able to use one on a couple of occasions. The other two or somewhat a mystery so my guess would be as good as yours. Sorry I couldn't help you out more.

I would recommend a 30-06 or a 308. You have loads of options to tweak your setup.

30-06

Got to know what ur hunting?Long range 22-250