Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

best culinary knives?

top ten best culinary knives..... size, brand and style please

• Visor
    Best Answer

That is extremely subjective. Size and style especially.

One person's dream knife might be another's nightmare.

Style - Here's over a dozen different style kitchen knives reviewed with pix and details, pick your style - http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/ktknv/indexst.sh...

Brands are little bit easier, as long as you know what school do you want to go with, Western or Japanese.

Few brands were already mentioned, pretty much all are ok knives. Except Cutco and Furi. Those two are level below even Forschner, Henckel and Wusthoff. Cutco prices are just outrageous on top of poor performance.

If you like or prefer western knives even the best Japanese blades will be a trouble. I don't mean Gyutos or chef's knives here, those are Japanised western chef's knives. Traditional single bevel Japanese knives like Yanagiba or Deba, or even single bevel gyutos will require time to get used to and learn how to use them.

From western brands Chef's Choice Trizor knives are far better performer than Messermeister, Gude, Wusthof, Henckel (except for cermax line), Chicago cutlery and many others, although those are ok performers for western knives.

BTW, Forschner knives that are made of exactly the same steel(X50CrMoV15) and same hardness as Henckels and Wusthofs cost half their price.

More details on that steel and other cutlery steels here - http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/articles/kk...

Japanese knives, well I am sure you know globals. Those are pretty good, stamped but outperform forged wusthofs and henckles any time.

Still, global is mediocre performer for Japanese knife.

Hiromoto, Masamoto, Ikeda, Moritaka, Watanabe, Aritsugu, Sanetsu, Itou, and may others make knives that outperform Globals and bunch of others 5 or even 10 to 1. That is cutting performance. Shuns are better than globals but compared to Aritsugu, Masamoto, Tadatsuna, Watanabe, Takeda and bunch of others, they're still behind in performance department, but rest assured they have a hefty price tag.

I sharpen all of the shuns and globals (along with Wusthofs and henckels) that my friends have, and I have pretty good idea what they can do.

Size - It's entirely up to you. Whatever size feels ok for a given style that's the best.

Chef's knives - Few years ago I was fine with 7-8" chef's knives. Then I went to 9.5" and now I am using only 10.5 (270mm) chef's knives. As I got better skills with those knives I realized that longer blades caused less fatigue and made lots of cutting easier. Probably you also have to consider your kitchen working space. If it's not too big then 270 or 300mm blade might be a problem.

Obviously I don't want that knife for paring. Although I know a few sushi chefs who use 300mm Yanagibas(sushi knife) for pretty much anything.

So, for paring knives 3-4 inch is both, best and that's how long they come anyway. Not much of a difference for those two schools.

Boning knives are on average 6-7" long for western knives.

Japanese boning knives, well there are several of them but still in 6-8" range. Except debas which are used for fish and sometimes poultry deboning and those can be from 4 to 10 inches ...

Slicers and Bread knives - Those are better when longer. I personally love my 320mm Gude bread knife. it's a monster, but no bread is a challenge with it. Slicers, most of them I have with 300mm blades, but that's up to you. if you don't feel comfy with 300mm blade then grab something shorter.

Filleting knives - Again, very different knives for western and Japanese schools. Western knives are thin, flexible blades, Japanese filleting knives are thicker from 6-10", single beveled (mostly) and anywhere from 4-12". Often those are specialized for a particular fish.

As for the rest, ignore all marketing BS that best or good kitchen knives must have a full bolster, full tang and has to be forged. none of that is true. The best and most expensive knives I've seen or I have never had neither bolster or a full tang. Simply not required. The only time you really need a bolster is a narrow knife like boning. For everything else it's just a gimmick you have to pay more.

Stamped knives like Globals outperform forged Henckels and others.

I'd challenge anyone to test stamped Forschners against forged Wusthofs or Henckels and find any difference in cutting performance.

best "cost is no object" brands would be trident wusthof, Global, shun, kyocera, henkels, cutco, etc.

best value brands are Foerschner (same company as victorinox), chicago cutlery, the costco house brand and oxo.

Forged knives are usually better than stamped, but being forged is not a guarantee of quiality

Just because a knife is from say henkels does not mean it is any good, they have crummy knives too. They have different "series from pros and 4 star to the crummy serrated ones. I started out with a 10 piece Chicago Cutlery set on which I only used a few of them. All were excellent VALUE, I just never used them all. I kept the CC Chinese cleaver, and have mostly Henkels 4 star now. I was to do it again, I'd go with Shun or Global. I also have a few specialized knives like a kyocera paring knife a japanese "denba" style knife.

As far as which styles to use. You do NOT need to buy a knife block set. Most are pretty much useless. Buy a basic set, then build based on how you cook. Most people need a 4" paring knife, a 7" santoku, a "bread knife" and a 10" chef knife to start. A Chinese style cleaver is a good add on, After that, I would add based on what you cook.

Go to a good cooking store or department store and feel them in your hand. The ballance, the "ergonomics", look and feel the quality. Buy what feels good to YOU

• wunder

victorinox , mundial ,frosts ,green river ,sabatuer ,there are dozens of manufacturers , nevertheless it is going to come back down on your man or woman experience ,the size of your hand , do you require a great grip ,do you prefer stainless-metallic , the size of the blade i choose a 8 - 10 " length , some knives are thick on the heel ,for weight in the handle ,i might additionally propose whilst sprucing the knife use a oil stone, basically don`t use oil through fact it clogs up the stone , use a small quantity of liquid cleansing soap & water ,i might additionally propose which you don`t enable a knife sprucing company touch your knives through fact they placed them on a wheel ,or a abrasive belt sander ,this takes the temper out of the metallic ,and developes a shoulder on the blade ,the blade is formed the style you purchase it , for a reason and whilst those human beings are complete , you could no longer carry a pointy part , so get an excellent sprucing metallic ,and touch up the knife to maintain the part ,i desire this facilitates ,and that i desire you each and each fulfillment on your quest ,the nutrition industry is a discovering activity or perhaps immediately after 51 years in the commerce , i'm nevertheless discovering

Global knives are fantastic. Just watch out for the display cases with the metallic strip. I watched one fall apart on a shop worker yesterday (the glue gave way, throwing all the VERY sharp knives towards him).

I use Sanellis - cheap, decent knives with a good hand feel.

Hello,

Take a look at this site it might help you

http://artofculinary.net

Best of Luck

• fast

Gude Bread Knife

Try this site.

reviews.cookingcache.com/best-chefs-knife.html

Source(s): Google